Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys iam in the middle of finishing up my bumper build and I was told to post it in welding and fab. So here it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are the drawings I started out with.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pictures of what I got done today.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered smittybilt 3/4" shackles yesterday but I cant decide what style of mounts I should get. Opinions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
The top ones or ones that go through the bumper and tie into your frame mounts . Check out groundponderfab on eBay he sells some 4" ones but if you message him you can get them longer I got mine form him they were 1"x2" -12" long I see he does not have any listed right now but just message Eddie and he will hook you up I have had him custom cut me a few things in the past and he sells his cut parts almost as cheep as the steal cost lol Jeep and Offroad items in Ground Pounder Fab store on eBay!

Like the look of your bumper a lot ! I wish our frames were not so low I hate how far down I had to make mine in the center to hide the frame but I like the way you made the sides slimmer than I did it looks good that's kind of what I wanted to do but just could not work it out when I was making my templates

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks onelow1ton! My goal was to make it as low profile as I could, thanks for the advice on the mounts ill go check out ground pounder fab.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I went with the squared off mounts, I think they fit the truck and bumper well as both are boxy, and I thought they looked nice and beefy.

mine are positioned so that they mount flush with the rear side of the bumper and butt up against and are welded to the 1/4 plate mount that bolts to the frame
where the original tow hooks were bolted in (I was actually able to re-use the tow hook bolts as well). so when you pull on them you are pulling on frame, not bumper.

mine is plasti-dipped for now, I will get it rhino lined as soon as I get a rear one built.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks excalibur Ive been leaning towards the squared off mounts. How much was it to get your front end colormatched?

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I sanded mine down, (you have to sand alot and get all that chrome off,) then used adhesion promoter and rattle canned it, after a couple of months I have small pecks showing up, my plan now is to plasti-dip it followed by several coats of paint to give it the right color and a shine, I done that to my front and back bumper originally and it turned out great. the plasti-dip adheres very well to a slick surface and should have a bit of flex to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kind of paint did you use? Would have never guessed it was rattle canned. I had my grill plasti dipped for a while, after i ran my truck through the mud the plasti dip never looked the same even after cleaning it a few times so I peeled it off.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I used the "perect match" paint cans available at advance auto or O'rileys. I used their universal black.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the bumper back from powder.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts