Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I thought I would give back to you guys for all the info Ive read on the forums.

I have built a custom downfiring sub box that will fit between your kiddy seats. You have to remove jack and cup holder but looks awsome, hides and protects sub as well. I have to transfer the pics here but I have all the plans and dimensions for a easy build. If theres anyone else like me this is what youve been looking for :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME!:salute:
I used One 8'' Alpine Type R SWR-843D:thumbup:. I wanted to put my Kicker 10'' L7 but you only have 9 1/2 inches of room. ALTHOUGH there is enough room to put two 8'' subs in a row if you wanted to. I used to run a competion stereo in my Exploder for years and im over setting off alarms and pop'n ear drums. Now I got my Canyon its all about clarity, plus the limited space.
Sorry for the delay. I hope this will come in handy for someone. Please note that my original plan was to just router the edges on the top and bottom but I ended up dado'n the front and rear peices which alters the original measurements. So if you do dado which I recomend remember to take the extra depth that you cut out x2(both sides). AND PRE DRILL EVERY SCREW!!! If you dont it will split, also Countersink your screws for a flush finish.
This subbox is a SEALED box, but it is very easy to PORT the box afterwards if you would perfer to be louder, its all on personal preferance.

-I used 3/4 MDF Board - Half a sheet is more than enough. $15-$20 all depends on location
-Titebond III Woodglue - $6
-2 Inch Drywall Screws. I bought a pack of 100 for $4 with plenty left over.
-1 1/2 Meters of Subwoofer Carpet bought from local Car Audio dealership - $12
-1 Can of 3M spray can adhesive or contact cement works good too. $4-$10
There are many Youtube videos out there to help show you how to carpet the box correctly if you need help.

IT IS RECOMENDED THAT YOU ROUND THE EDGES ON THE INSIDE FOR AIRFLOW. SINCE IT IS A SMALLER BOX AND MADE OF STURDY 3/4'' MDF I USED CORNER MOLDING, NO NEED FOR BRACES. IT IS A CHEATING WAY BUT WORKS AND THE CAR AUDIO INSTALLERS AGREE. GLUED IN PLACE AND THEN FIBERGLASS RESIN'D THE CORNERS AND ALL THE SEAMS INSIDE AND OUT FOR AN AIRTIGHT SEAL. I ALSO WAITED FOR THE GLUE TO DRY BEFORE USING ANY RESIN. YOU CAN ALSO SILICONE THE EDGES INSTEAD.

AFTER EVERYTHING DRIED OVERNIGHT I LIGHTLY SANDED AND CLEANED UP THE BOX BEFORE LAYING THE CARPET. ALSO MAKE SURE TO BLOW IT OFF INSIDE AND OUT WITH A COMPRESSOR IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO ONE.

IM NOT THE BEST CARPET LAYER HAHA, FIRST TIME THOUGH. PRACTISE MAKES PERFECT

IT MAY NOT LOOK LIKE IT BUT IT IS A PERFECT CUT CIRCLE. I CUT THE EDGES INTO TRIANGLES AND GLUED TO THE INSIDE OF THE BOX. WHEN THE CARPET WAS LAYED OVER THE HOLE I SLICED IT LIKE A PIZZA AND GLUED ENDS.

:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:

BOTH MY AMPS ARE HIDDEN UNDER THE SEATS, I WILL POST MORE PICS OF HOW THEY ARE SET UP AND HOW I RAN THE WIRES. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS, ID BE GLAD TO HELP IN ANY WAY!:thumbup:

AND MAKE SURE NOT TO INSTALL YOUR SUBWOOFER IN THE BOX FOR AT LEAST A DAY. THE CHEMICALS IN THE GLUE AND (OR) SILICONE WILL EAT AT THE SUB.

·
Captain Obvious
3,655 Posts
not bad. I would suggest not to dado the top perimeter, tho. Once you countersink the screws, there is only going to be about 1/8-3/16" solid material left for the screws to apply pressure and that's on the highest pressured area inside the enclosure, also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input and comments. The box with the Type R sounds really good and clean in the truck. I have been getting alot of good comments on it from people in person. I am going to make another box very similar but for 2 8" Type Rs or 1 10". I have not decided which one yet, I am happy with what I have and am in no rush. It would be more for show when I get my newer Canyon next summer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I have two, one for speakers and a mono for sub. Both are under my rear seats. I removed the storage boxes and they fit perfect underneath and I ran the cables behind the rear panel for a clean look. I will upload a couple pics after work.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
255 Posts
hey Undead let me get mine for a single 12 built. its a downfire between the front console and rear seat. will allow for almost full back slide on the front seats. gonna lose the rear cup holder though. you will like the design and finish Im sure. Having to wait for my sub to arrive tuesday before I can start. As the dimensions of the magnet area are not listed anywhere. those are very critical in whether I can parraell downfire or have to angle the sub to the rear at 10-15 deg. I am considering putting a hinged top compartment above the sub. I should have it built by next weekend as I hate having high dollar stuff laying around with a 5yr old loose lol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I made an almost identical box but I did not have to take out the factory jack. I just had it hidden underneath the 2 sides and a longer top of the box.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts