Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CAT broke up and blew out the back. (2nd cat under struck)
I was going to bolt in a cheaper alternative from Magnaflow, but they won't send it to California
What the heck is so different around here that they can't make aftermarket CATS?
I'm wondering if i used a C02 fouler if it'd pass smog anyway?
Anybody had any luck with a workaround TO PASS SMOG?

I was going to order it to Nevada, go pick it up and then bolt it on, but I don't want to waste my time if it still doesn't pass smog.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
As long as your not throwing any codes you'll be fine with smog, they don't do a visual inspection any more. My cat is completely cut out with a header in front of it, basically straight pipe now. I have the codes tuned out so I don't have to run the non foulers.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
California has an anti tampering law regarding after market converters. If you legally replace your converter the shop has to fill out paper that goes to the CARB plus the converter has a label on it. It's just life in Cali man. Smog has been an issue for a lot of years here.

Jesse not sure how you pass the dyno test without cats. The first one maybe but none. It should fail when it comes back to idle after the 2500 rpm run. California still does a visual test even though a lot of shops don't.

What I do is I saved my stock exhaust system (both cats) and put it back on when it is time to get the smog done.

·
Registered
390 Posts
California's cat laws are weird my truck is from Michigan an it passed cali smog test but now that it has a crack to replace it in Cali the dealership is only place you can buy it from. Cost around $900

I just bought one from someone saved a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
^^^ So True Rich. Some chemical solvants I can't buy for cali.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had an Expedition that the Cats were going bad. And there were 4 of them. The main reason I didn't fix them right away was that I was fighting with the dealer to pay for them, and they ended up doing just that. But in the mean time I used Spark Plug non-foulers to get the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream and it kept my check engine light from coming on. So I'd say it's worth a shot, they were only a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
The Magnaflow performance direct fit catalytic converters come in a plain white box so you could order one and have it sent to a friend out of state; then ship it back to CA.

I was able to purchase a new one from eBay for $220 shipped a few months ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all....my concern here is not to be legal per say, but to at least install one, and the question is "WILL IT PASS SMOG" like magnaflows?

Also, I found a company called MILLERCAT, which makes CA legal CATS, I'm getting a quote now, and will post back.

Also, curios if I use the non fouler, if it would pass smog anyway...who knows, I'll give that a shot too!

·
Registered
390 Posts
magna flow its the same as stock. it should pass

i have a question are you throwing a code for a bad cat?

mine broke apart long time ago an blew into the muffler an still passed smog with out the second cat.

but now i have a crack manifold & that is terrible so I'm hopefully replacing this weekend.

Sea foam helped in finding it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A muffler shop is going to tell me what code is displaying because the minute the rattle stopped the engine light came on. My next steps are.
1. Check CEL and code
2. If oxygen sensor then i'll try fouling it and testing.
3. If it fails then I'll see how much MillerCat costs and or get a shop to weld on a Magnaflow
4. This could end up screwing me when/if the smog shop does a visual :(

·
Registered
390 Posts
if your 02 sensor is before the cat you should be good if its after then try the non fouler or get it turned off with a tune

good luck man

1 - 14 of 14 Posts