Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My single CD player stopped working in my '05 so I'm assuming I need a new head unit.
I would like to keep it stock, but buying a stock head unit and going to the dealer to take care of the security issues would cost as much as an aftermarket stereo.
Question..... Is there anyone in the Portland OR area that could take care of the security issues for me? (For a small fee of course) And..... Is there anyone in the Portland area that might have a stock head unit they would like to sell?
I understand an aftermarket stereo will prolly give better sound and features, but I'm not really into the "bling". The only thing about an aftermarket unit that intrigues me at all is the fact I could hook my phone up to it VIA USB or Bluetooth depending on what I buy.

TIA

Clint

·
SOLD!!!
4,508 Posts
I gave my old single CD player to guy in Vancouver that I don't think ever installed it. He sold his 355 but I'll see if I can get a hold of him and see if he still has it. I doubt it but you never know.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
When you figure the cost of the HU and the wire harness, it may be cheaper to go with a used factory unit. Not sure the cost of the programming ($50?), but the harness is $80+ local retail, plus the HU. Or go to Crutchfield and purchase a $200 HU (I think it's $200) and get 50% off the harness bring it down to $39.99.

So you're not really too much ahead. But a new HU does give you a number of features if you're looking for expandability.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
:yeahthat: Crutchfield has several H.U. to choose from.... The Kenwood double din I got from them looks a lot like the OEM one and is far superior to the original !!! Good luck with your search !!! :salute:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone...... Crutchfield is where I've been shopping.... If I go aftermarket I will surely do the install myself. The tuner still works, so around town isn't a problem. It's those road trips that make me want to fix this issue. With that being said, I'm not in a big hurry to get this resolved. Any help with getting a stock head unit on the cheap is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Thank you everyone...... Crutchfield is where I've been shopping.... If I go aftermarket I will surely do the install myself. The tuner still works, so around town isn't a problem. It's those road trips that make me want to fix this issue. With that being said, I'm not in a big hurry to get this resolved. Any help with getting a stock head unit on the cheap is greatly appreciated.
I got my old one... Same problem as yours so I trashed it !!! LOL

·
Registered
634 Posts
Have you tried exploiting Craig's list.com I can almost assure you there is one somewhere there. I want the stock unit in my truck. I have a pioneer now. I bought the truck with it in. Boo. I think it's kinda silly to have the remote when I only need to reach forward to do the same thing lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
SOLD!!!
4,508 Posts
Heard back from the guy I gave my CD player to. He still has it and said he'd give it to you. PM me and I'll give you his number. He said you could text him and you guys could work out the logistics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PM Sent. Thank you!

Is the Tech II the only way I can get a new head unit to work in my truck? Or is this something HPTuners can do? Or DHP?

·
SOLD!!!
4,508 Posts
Sent you a PM about the radio with his number. As to your other question, I haven't a clue. That is beyond my knowledge base lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update...... I acquired the HU mentioned above and had a friend of mine with a TechII try to get it to work. He is an experienced GM Mechanic and worked several years for a dealer until they closed down. Now he owns his own shop and from what he tells me, to make this HU work on my truck takes a subscription to a GM database that he doesn't have anymore due to the cost and lack of demand. Bottom line is, the dealer or a mechanic with this particular software is the only way I'm going to get it to work. I'm not a big fan of working with the service managers at the dealers, and I'm pretty confident I'm not going to find a mechanic that can help me with this.

I'm now back to shopping for an aftermarket unit. Crutchfield here I come.

Edit: Thanks to Raidrz for help me out with this!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yah..... I was hoping to keep the OEM HU. I've never been a fan of after market stereos because of the F'n thieves. Nothing worse than waking up to a busted window and missing parts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

I just couldn't let this go..... I'm a cheap SOB.

I finally made this work by swapping disk drives between HU's. The unit given to me was not an MP3 player, and the unit in my '05 is. The drives themselves are identical, but the circuit boards for them are very different. I was able to mount the circuit board out of my '05 onto the drive out of the '04 and mount the assembly into the HU of my '05. This worked!!! No security issues and swapping circuit boards was just a few screws holding it to the drive and 2 ribbon connectors. The face plate has to come off as there are 2 screws holding the drive in place behind it. The top and bottom of the HU just pry off with a screwdriver. The only screws that need to be removed are the 4 mounting screws for the drive. 2 in the front and 2 in the rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts