Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all! I have an 07 Colorado with the 2.9, 4 cyl engine that has 200k miles on it. The trans fluid is "brownish" but still has a bit of red color to it. I have no idea if the fluid was changed in the past and have heard that you can mess things up if you service the transmission too late. The trans shifts very well so...should I take a chance on letting it go, or service it?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

·
Registered
2008 Chevy Colorado WT Z71 4WD
43 Posts
I changed mine (3.7L) after about 50,000mi, I'd say the color was 50/50 red/brown.

Honestly, I'd say just change it so you don't have to worry about it, but it sounds like you could wait a little longer if you don't want to mess with it rn.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you don't haul stuff or pull a trailer I say not to change the fluid . If you feel that you need to do something you might want to add a transmission cooler . High fluid temperature is a major cause of transmission failure .

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is a good question. I have heard stories of people ruining their trans, stories mind you, by flushing the fluid when it had not been serviced for wayyy too long.
If it has some red to it yet, I would assume it has had at least 1 service. The standard usage charts says 100k miles interval, i think.
My vote is to drop the pan, wipe it up, and replace the filter. Then refill. That's it. no flush, no chemicals, just a fresh fluid exchange. Granted, this will only replace about half the fluid, but it won't disturb anything either.

I am trying out a different style maintenance on my trucks. Both had a trans service at around 60k. So what I am doing is pumping out 2qt of fluid from the dipstick every 25k miles. Then when I get to the 160k mark, I will do the pan drop. (Which is a bit more of a pain on 4wd). This should keep the fluid in pretty good shape. Nobody's idea but my own. It may be stupid and/or wasteful, but we will see. I don't tow much of anything, nor work the trucks very hard. They are just daily drivers that can go to HD when I need to.

·
Internet Troll
1,305 Posts
Fluid in these trucks is synthetic so it helps. I agree with Dragon, drop the pan, clean it and change the filter. Recommended is 45,000 on the 2012. IIRC it was the same for the 2009.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With my truck (2006 I5) I have used a vacuum extractor with every oil change (3-4000 miles) to remove about 3 quarts of tranny fluid and replace. I have just about 200,000 on the truck with no trans issues and the fluid looks great. You may want to do a similar thing but do it at 1000 mile intervals for a few times to gradually get the newer fluid in

·
Registered
256 Posts
With my truck (2006 I5) I have used a vacuum extractor with every oil change (3-4000 miles) to remove about 3 quarts of tranny fluid and replace. I have just about 200,000 on the truck with no trans issues and the fluid looks great. You may want to do a similar thing but do it at 1000 mile intervals for a few times to gradually get the newer fluid in
Now that is an aggressive maintenance schedule! A little overkill never hurts, and its working for you just fine. How often do you change the filter with that schedule?

·
Registered
13 Posts
To be honest, I only changed it once at 60,000 miles and have not since. I'm older now and my ability to get under the truck and remove the pan is limited. This approach has worked for me

·
Registered
165 Posts
I say avoid a very aggressive flush. Simple dump it, replace filter and refill is enough.
As I approach 300,000 that I personally racked up each and every one of those miles myself, I have done that once on my truck, and plan to do it again around the 300K mark, drop the pan, dump the fluid, new filter, refill and roll with it. These trans are so different from the power glides and turbo glides of the past. Keep your fluid level in the acceptable range, not over filled, check and wipe the dipstick as you look for low, brown, or smells burnt fluid, if all is well, roll with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I changed mine (3.7L) after about 50,000mi, I'd say the color was 50/50 red/brown.

Honestly, I'd say just change it so you don't have to worry about it, but it sounds like you could wait a little longer if you don't want to mess with it rn.
Thanks Maverick! I don't mind changing it just don't want to screw it because it has not been done for so long.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a good question. I have heard stories of people ruining their trans, stories mind you, by flushing the fluid when it had not been serviced for wayyy too long.
If it has some red to it yet, I would assume it has had at least 1 service. The standard usage charts says 100k miles interval, i think.
My vote is to drop the pan, wipe it up, and replace the filter. Then refill. That's it. no flush, no chemicals, just a fresh fluid exchange. Granted, this will only replace about half the fluid, but it won't disturb anything either.

I am trying out a different style maintenance on my trucks. Both had a trans service at around 60k. So what I am doing is pumping out 2qt of fluid from the dipstick every 25k miles. Then when I get to the 160k mark, I will do the pan drop. (Which is a bit more of a pain on 4wd). This should keep the fluid in pretty good shape. Nobody's idea but my own. It may be stupid and/or wasteful, but we will see. I don't tow much of anything, nor work the trucks very hard. They are just daily drivers that can go to HD when I need to.
Thanks Dragon makes sense!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I say avoid a very aggressive flush. Simple dump it, replace filter and refill is enough.
As I approach 300,000 that I personally racked up each and every one of those miles myself, I have done that once on my truck, and plan to do it again around the 300K mark, drop the pan, dump the fluid, new filter, refill and roll with it. These trans are so different from the power glides and turbo glides of the past. Keep your fluid level in the acceptable range, not over filled, check and wipe the dipstick as you look for low, brown, or smells burnt fluid, if all is well, roll with it.
Good advice thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I am more familiar with the old power glides and the 70-80's vintage cars. Scotty Kilmer says that if it's brownish leave it alone, just quoting, I did not intend to do a complete flush just the filter and 5 qts. I'm guessing to use synthetic? Valvoline? What do you think?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Valvoline is fine, I use their "High Mile With Stop Leak And Seal Conditioners", most auto Parts and Walmart carry it. Dextron, of course. I prefer the original AC Delco Trans Filter and gasket, just be sure of the one you need, including Deep Pan or Shallow Pan.
BTW in high mile transmissions, if it did not come with Synthetic fluid, I would not change it to syn, go with a conventional fluid in a high mile formula. Don't overfill!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I didn't change mine for 14 years. Bad I know. But it was still purring as of last Saturday when I said goodbye.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greetings to all! I have an 07 Colorado with the 2.9, 4 cyl engine that has 200k miles on it. The trans fluid is "brownish" but still has a bit of red color to it. I have no idea if the fluid was changed in the past and have heard that you can mess things up if you service the transmission too late. The trans shifts very well so...should I take a chance on letting it go, or service it?

I have a pump and suck out about 2 1/2 quarts about every 3rd.oil change. Almost 200k miles on 2010 Colorado 4x4 V8 crew cab. Never had any transmission issues and never replaced the filter. Always replaced with synthetic Dexron. Will drop the pan and replace the filter @ 200k for sure. Maybe overkill but it seems to work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
the best solution may be when a shop pumps ALL the fluid out for new, not sure if this works on a colly but on my recommendation my aunt had her 99 cherokee done at 60 thou a few years + still doing well. shes 85 YO now + likes the visability of her jeep. i drive + buy ONLY sticks + do change the lube to real synthetic Redline, good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts

Doorman has a stock 2qt extra steel pan with a drain plug for $50. Install that and servicing the transmission will be easy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts