Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have been looking into changing the transmission fluid in my 2007 it has 187 000 kilometres and as far as I'm aware its the original fluid (I am not the original owner). I have read that its unwise to change the fluid as it might cause the transmission to slip. Has anyone had a bad experience with a similar situation? Should I leave it in there and hope for the best?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transmission may be shifting into 2nd gear a little hard with slow acceleration.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check your trans fluids first. If its brown and smells burnt leave it alone and start saving for a new transmission. If it's dark but mostly red color, should be no problem. Unless you routinely tow heavy stuff, my guess is that with 187K Km/116k miles, the fluid should still mostly have a reddish color. I think the manual says to change at 90k miles/114k km. I changed mine for the second time at about 186k miles and have had no problems. But I'm planning on changing it again in about 40k-50k miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check your trans fluids first. If its brown and smells burnt leave it alone and start saving for a new transmission. If it's dark but mostly red color, should be no problem. Unless you routinely tow heavy stuff, my guess is that with 187K Km/116k miles, the fluid should still mostly have a reddish color. I think the manual says to change at 90k miles/114k km. I changed mine for the second time at about 186k miles and have had no problems. But I'm planning on changing it again in about 40k-50k miles.
PS Notice I said "changed" my fluid and not "flushed". There's a difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also am not the original owner of an '07 Canyon SLE 2.9L, original fluid (I think). Fluid was very dark red, I'd say burgandy/gray in color. I did a complete flush at 206,000 miles. I figured, what the hell did I have to lose?! All the pros said it was to late anyways, that my tranny is toast. So I just left the return cooling line in a bucket (after filling to capacity) after regular drain. Then using helpers we started the truck and kept filling until return ran pink and pretty. I also changed the filter, scrubbing the pan pretty again as well.
Immediately I noticed a difference in shifts, as well as a jump in mileage. I am not a lead foot, and I have 218,000 miles today, (knock on wood) without any noticeable slipping, hesitation, or grinding.
That's not to say that I am disagreeing with the Pros. Not at all. I just may have a dead tranny tomarrow.
Just thought I'd share my experience so far.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
"If you've got more than xxx,xxx miles on your transmission, it'll do more harm that good to change your transmission fluid!" I've heard that for years, but I disagree. If your transmission is not completely broken and not working, change your fluid and filter, and if there's any change at all it will be better than before. Do not go to a Quick-Change oil change place and let them to a transmission flush though. Most simply drain the old fluid while pouring in new fluid until what runs out it pretty and red (as described above), but unlike Simmerbecky, they don't drop the pan and change the filter. Simmerbecky has the best plan I think.
Great post Simmerbecky!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couple years ago I did a change of fluid by dropping the pan and replacing lost fluid with new, while also installing a new filter. Under a year, I went with a rebuild and was told 'not much meat on the bone' from the trans shop which was at 200k. Not original owner, purchased 141k and of course unknowing of what prior owner driving habits were I had decided to service the transmission in a limited way. I had some slipping occur 4 months or so after servicing before finally taking it to a shop 4 or 5 months later. Whether the fluid change had anything to do with..... I doubt it. As mentioned.... the burned, discolored characteristics I did not have and the filter wasn't totaled with crud from what I remember. I just replaced fluid due to mileage. Think it was around 175k ish when I dropped the pan initially. Good luck, not sure my experience is of any help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
"If you've got more than xxx,xxx miles on your transmission, it'll do more harm that good to change your transmission fluid!" I've heard that for years, but I disagree. If your transmission is not completely broken and not working, change your fluid and filter, and if there's any change at all it will be better than before. Do not go to a Quick-Change oil change place and let them to a transmission flush though. Most simply drain the old fluid while pouring in new fluid until what runs out it pretty and red (as described above), but unlike Simmerbecky, they don't drop the pan and change the filter. Simmerbecky has the best plan I think.
Great post Simmerbecky!
Why thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts