Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought id put this out there about a little incident i had this week, my truck has been apart for the past several weeks getting some work done to it, ive taken the time of re-routing many wires, changing out worn out clips, tie raps, painting stuff... etc.

It had been almost 2 years since i did some maintanance on the cooling system, so i decided to remove my radiator to give it a nice flush and cleaning and put some fresh coolant in it, well when i took off the radiator, i saw some black gunk inside of it, that could be felt with my finger to be oil... i decided to pop it open and with further inspection, discovered that the transmission cooler that lays inside the radiator was perforated and letting oil in to the radiator, what really worried me was that it was most certainly also letting coolant into my ATF... which is a big recipe for Disaster!!

I ended up finding a radiator shop that could replace the damaged piece inside of the radiator, so i did not need to get an entire new unit, which is good since this one is fairly new, its only 2 years old, how or why did this happend, i have no clue... but i think it must have been very recent since i had no noticeable loss of coolant...

what i do know is that this could explain my tranny starting to loose its firmness and i had began to notice some slippage in 1st to 2nd gear shift and some slippage in 4th gear.

I now dropped my tranny and getting new discs and bands installed along with a full revision of the rest of the components... I hope to have it back up and running this week! :)

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Wow.
Hate to hear it but hopefully you caught it in time.

Probably just manufacturing defect, ya think?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Does "pop it open" mean u separated the plastic tank from the aluminum core to inspect the tranny cooler? Was it perforated from corrosion?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does "pop it open" mean u separated the plastic tank from the aluminum core to inspect the tranny cooler? Was it perforated from corrosion?
exactly. it really did not seem like it was from corrosion.. more like cracked, i forgot to mention this is on a "V8" radiator.

·
Registered
424 Posts
How difficult is it to separate the tank from the core? My OE rad has a bad o-ring between the top tank and core. How difficult is it to re-attach the tank to the core?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts