Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: FS: Colorado / Canyon Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Model Options! New XML2 Added!

Diode Dynamics is pleased to announce a new color for our popular XML2 fog light -YELLOW (3000K)! The XML2 utilizes genuine CREE XML2 components, for a true, measured output of 1,420 lumens. 100% plug-and-play. Sizes available include 9005, 9006, H8, H10, H11, H16, and PSX24W.

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: FS: Colorado / Canyon Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Model Options! New XML2 Added!

Why not using in low beam? I want to mach with my ledpod foglight.

·
Site Sponsor
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Why not using in low beam? I want to mach with my ledpod foglight.
I wouldn't recommend an LED for low-beam use, nor would I recommend a yellow bulb

Nick C.

·
Site Sponsor
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

But y tho
A quality 35 watt HID conversion kit will still produce more overall lumen output than a plug and play LED setup. Also, yellow may not be road legal in all 50 states.

If you have reflector style housings, I'd stick with a quality halogen bulb replacement, like Putco.

Nick C.

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts

It's possible to have LED low beams. I had LED low beams in my 2015 Colorado projectors:

They were rated at 2200 lumens and were just a hair better than halogens.

However, when I put the exact same bulbs in a fog light reflector housing, they showed to be better in the reflectors than projectors. Better light, better throw.

LED vs stock halogen comparison

·
Site Sponsor
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

It's possible to have LED low beams. I had LED low beams in my 2015 Colorado projectors:

They were rated at 2200 lumens and were just a hair better than halogens.

However, when I put the exact same bulbs in a fog light reflector housing, they showed to be better in the reflectors than projectors. Better light, better throw.

LED vs stock halogen comparison
Of course it's possible to install LEDs in the factory socket, but it's not going to utilize the housing as effectively due to the placement of the LEDs and other factors.

A rounded 2,200 lumen "rating" is not the same as a measurement. It's a calculated total, typically over-inflated to mislead potential buyers.

While they appear bright, the output pattern won't be as effective as a halogen bulb or even HID conversion kit

LEDs are ideal for auxillary locations like fog lights, but aren't quite there for low-beam use yet.

Nick C.

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts

Of course it's possible to install LEDs in the factory socket, but it's not going to utilize the housing as effectively due to the placement of the LEDs and other factors.

A rounded 2,200 lumen "rating" is not the same as a measurement. It's a calculated total, typically over-inflated to mislead potential buyers.

While they appear bright, the output pattern won't be as effective as a halogen bulb or even HID conversion kit

LEDs are ideal for auxillary locations like fog lights, but aren't quite there for low-beam use yet.

Nick C.
Funny you say that because their advertising states this right in their ad:

"Designed in USA by GENSSI(TM) Real Engineering! True (Not Over Hyped like others) 2200-2400LM light output. Beware any higher noted by others is a false advertising."

They did out perform the stock halogens but are obviously no wheres near the 55W HID kit I've upgraded to.

·
Site Sponsor
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Funny you say that because their advertising states this right in their ad:

"Designed in USA by GENSSI(TM) Real Engineering! True (Not Over Hyped like others) 2200-2400LM light output. Beware any higher noted by others is a false advertising."

They did out perform the stock halogens but are obviously no wheres near the 55W HID kit I've upgraded to.
Just for a reference, here's how we measure our products:

Also, look how poorly constructed that sentence you included is

--------------------------

"Beware any higher noted by others is a false advertising."

--------------------------

We are here to help customers learn the facts about automotive lighting and prevent them from being deceived. We've tested nearly all of these plug and play LED options in-house and they don't produce anywhere near what the manufacture claims.

Nick C.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I have the XML2 installed on my 09. I had to cut the back of the OEM fog housing to compensate for the extra large housing. I used black Gorilla tape to cover the silver housing so no one can see my after markets and get itchy... They are bright as advertised.

I also have the HID kits with the 5K's and they are awesome. Sometimes I need to use the state highways at night and they are pitch black, with the these 5K's the road is totally lit up and I can see extremely well from each angle and about 60 yards in front which gives me ample time to see critters and deer on the side of the road.

I still have the OEM brights but don't use them. I'd like to find a cheaper alternative to the adding another HID kit for the brights. I read here it's ok to use the XLM2s as the highbeams, if so I look into the XML2 LEDs for the high beams.

I added these to Supermods DTRL/blinker kits, and its the whole package. Love these.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

i want to get the (i believe its xm80?) ones right below the xml2s. just a simple plug and play for me. dont want to get into modding housings or anything.

i wonder if there is a retrofit you could do for these with a quick fire HID or LED setup?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

Just my 2 cents, modding the housing was well worth the extra light the XML2 puts out. Took me 5 minutes with a Dremel.

I didn't bother trying to close up the housing afterwards because I figure they have cooling fans for a reason....and those fans need to breathe.

For the record, I am also running XML2's as my low beams and they really work well. Anything reflective (such as road signs) really light up......at a further distance than the halogens.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Im running DKM retros so headlight output is mint

i was originally looking at the XML2s but am just concerned with the amount of salt and sodium chloride the underside of my truck sees being in new england going through winters. This was a factor in making my decision for the next step down light

·
Registered
52 Posts

reply to 10Canyon53, I did the same as you did, except I cut with shears tho. The only place I covered was the back of the box where I cut and there is no vent holes on the bottom base of the LEDs. I used a 3" piece of black Gorilla tape. I just covered the small hole I cut. The bottom is wide as designed for air circulation.

RednecKevin, I like those DKM retros! As for salt and sodium chloride, I live in the Midwest and we use the same stuff on our streets and so far through my first winter with the LEDs, they work great.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Thank you! My trucks name is Rosa Parks so the all black out look fits it well haha @09BlkV8

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

hmmm i may have to get those..... whats the plug look like on them? Standard plug and play aside from the housing modification? @diode-dynamics @09BlkV8 @10Canyon53

·
Site Sponsor
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

hmmm i may have to get those..... whats the plug look like on them? Standard plug and play aside from the housing modification? @diode-dynamics @09BlkV8 @10Canyon53
They plug directly into the factory socket, and mount into the factory housing with minimal effort. As some have mentioned, you may need to make some adjustments to account for the base of the bulb on the XML2, but it's all fairly straightforward.

Nick C.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts