Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The pictured truck is the Rally concept that was shown prior to the release of the Chevy Colorado that is sold outside of North America. It gave good indication of what the production model would look like. The global truck has the typical Chevy car / cuv front end like the Equinox and other vehicles.

Some sources are suggesting that GM will develop an off road model of the Colorado and / or Canyon that will be sold in the North American market.

At this point, it's far from confirmed, but GM has previously said they were considering it. But, they also considered an off road Silverado (ZR2 Concept) or Sierra (All Terrain HD Concept), and that never happened on the GMT 900 era trucks.

Hopefully this is not just a tease, and GM produces a really cool truck for the first time in a while.

2015 is the launch year in North America, and for the 2016 model year, GM will focus on the diesel engine option, and likely a Denali trim level. I would not expect to see a ZR2 before the 2017 model year.

The Raptor is a sweet truck, but it is very wide, and drinks gas like crazy. A smaller and lighter truck would do better on some off road trails, and perhaps get good enough fuel economy to drive around without spending a fortune in gas.

Last time Pickuptrucks.com had an off road showdown, GM did not even send a truck. They knew they had nothing to compete with the likes of the Raptor, Power Wagon, TRD Pro, or even the Pro4X. That's just embarrassing.

I still love the S-10 ZR2 and GMC Sonoma Highrider. Sweet little trucks for taking off road.

If they actually gave me everything on my wish list, what would that be worth to me, compared to a fully loaded Z71?

Recovery hooks - already in Z71 package +$0
3" lift - $4,000
Plus sized tires +$250
3.73 Gears - There is typically no upcharge for different gearing options on trucks +$0. (3.42 is stock for V6 trucks)
G80 - already in Z71 package +$0
High Clearance Front Bumper +$1,000
Skid Plates that don't fold up when you tap a rock +$750
Off road modes for the traction control system +$750

I would want the following options to NOT be mandatory
Luxury Package -$1,500 (guess)
Safety Package -$1,500 (guess)

NET: +$3,750 What a bargain! I have more than that into my Canyon with after market upgrades.

Of course, I say this before knowing what a loaded Z71 is worth to start with.

Even though it will be really expensive, I would strongly consider buying such a truck. Aftermarket stuff just is not as high quality as OEM components. It rusts faster, is more prone to squeaking, makes shops grumble when they have to work on your modified vehicle, etc.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Unlikely, they never produced the match for the Raptor.....and we know that would have sold like crazy

·
Registered
833 Posts
Man If this is true id deffenatly buy one of these. But I don't have high hopes!!!

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
I run a road that looks just like everything in those videos getting to my dads house...at 30mph (except the big spots in the taco/4r video...I slow down to 15 over that). I only had a tb crank, shackles and rancho shocks...now I'm on bigger tires and have freed up some travel in the front end. Really not impressed for what the price difference is. I still haven't found a need to ever turn on my 4wd either.

I also jumped an eight foot wide ditch on the street two months after getting my truck, so I might drive a lil harder than most lol.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It could be, or somebody just bought the sticker and, well, stuck it on each side.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
somebody just bought the sticker and, well, stuck it on each side.
first gen GMC canyons came with offroad stickers/package instead of the Z71 that chevs have. Probably where the stickers came from. Worst case scenario is someone replaced the box for some reason.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
My 08 Colorado crew cab 4X4 has a big offroad sticker on each side, is that part of a package of some sort?
Check your glove box sticker. GMC Canyon's "OffRoad" package is coded as a z71 on the sticker. But, usually the Chevy Colorado would just have the "Z71" sticker on the bed side. Its too easy to buy stickers, and as stated, bed could have been swapped out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check your glove box sticker. GMC Canyon's "OffRoad" package is coded as a z71 on the sticker. But, usually the Chevy Colorado would just have the "Z71" sticker on the bed side. Its too easy to buy stickers, and as stated, bed could have been swapped out.
Yeah, it's not a Z71. I'm thinking it was a lesser 4X4 package. It came with 15X7" alu wheels with 235/75R15 tires, small fender flares, and a plastic skid plate. I was hoping it would have the locking differential, but no such luck.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
RPO codes. Theres a thread on here that'll explain them all. Codes are on the aforementioned glove box sticker

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yeah, it's not a Z71. I'm thinking it was a lesser 4X4 package. It came with 15X7" alu wheels with 235/75R15 tires, small fender flares, and a plastic skid plate. I was hoping it would have the locking differential, but no such luck.
That's the Z85 package.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
I was under the impression that Z85 just indicated suspension components.
Z85 is kind of a suspension package. It's technically more of a trim level. For example, you can have a 2wd Z85 with coil suspension, or you can have a 4wd Z85 with torsion bars....the suspension difference between the two isn't comparable as none of the parts are the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Z85 is kind of a suspension package. It's technically more of a trim level. For example, you can have a 2wd Z85 with coil suspension, or you can have a 4wd Z85 with torsion bars....the suspension difference between the two isn't comparable as none of the parts are the same.
Is there a 4X4 that's neither a Z85 nor a Z71?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts