Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What features do I need to look for when getting an aftermarket radio and keep factory options? I have a 2012 Colorado with Bluetooth and On-Star.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Here you go dude.

Since you have Onstar, I highly recommend the Metra Axxess GMOS-01. Even though you don't plan on using OnStar, this harness adapter will keep everything running properly and the BCM will not have any issues with it. All of the Scosche and Peripheral brand adapters have been known to fail and/or cause damage to the BCM. The other brands can also prevent you from getting the PCM tuned properly.
More info in a similar thread I started a while back.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/audio-multimedia/50519-what-wire-harness-where.html

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Yeah I just have the stock am/fm, with On-Star and Bluetooth. Debating on whether I want to keep the On-Star but Definatly want to keep the Bluetooth.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
The other thing you have to think about is if you ever plan on getting a tune later on down the road. Getting the wrong harness will effect a tune.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other thing you have to think about is if you ever plan on getting a tune later on down the road. Getting the wrong harness will effect a tune.
Not until I swap in a bigger engine. Just want to make sure I keep my Bluetooth calling option.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Bluetooth is a feature of the headunit (HU) you purchase. If you want a new HU with Bluetooth features, you have to purchase the HU that has Bluetooth.

The correct chimes retention module is necessary to use the Factory Onstar, as that is not a feature of the HU.
My understanding is the HU's that feature Parrot Bluetooth technology is superior to the average cheapy Bluetooth. I have a Kenwood deck and the Bluetooth for calls is horrible. I am always getting a message stating the phone is too far away, even if it is in the counsel or on the seat. For streaming music, it works fine though. And the microphone placement is pretty critical. I can't use mine in my truck, it's too noisy for people to hear me very well.

Others have no problems but again, the Parrot system seems to be superior in all aspects.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's help. I got the new radio in and all the features still work. Can use Bluetooth either through the deck or the truck its self.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts