Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big ass puffs of white smoke for about 20 seconds while I was revving it :) Musta been dirty as hell. Oh well took the truck out and it drives so much smoother now, glad I did that since it was sticking while braking and not warmed up to operating temp. The truck was dropping rpm's to the 500's before now it's running great!

Fuel filter is next... prolly do some fuel system treatment then to. Is it better to do this before I change the filter or after? I'd imagine after but i'd like other opinions.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I would have to say after.Just my opinion I have no fact based support,it just seems the new filter will allow the trearment to flow thru the system better.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW!

You got some miles under your belt!

Glad to hear its running good for ya!
After 3 tear-downs from the misfiring it better be.... lol. But yeah she's running just like the first day I bought it (after maintenance).

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ :lol: I paid $2.99 for a can of STP tb/intake cleaner and $2.00 for 5 shop towels. Took me 5 mins. I get fuel filters for $10 and it takes me 10 mins max.

$15 and 15 mins for prolly half of the services they do, if you add in a full synthetic oil change add ~$50 for oil and filter and another 15 mins :lol:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
^ :lol: I paid $2.99 for a can of STP tb/intake cleaner and $2.00 for 5 shop towels. Took me 5 mins. I get fuel filters for $10 and it takes me 10 mins max.

$15 and 15 mins for prolly half of the services they do, if you add in a full synthetic oil change add ~$50 for oil and filter and another 15 mins :lol:
I'll try and remember everything he told me:
  • Oil change
  • Fuel filter
  • Air filter & throttle body
  • Cooling system
  • AC system
  • Tire rotation and alignment
  • Belts and hoses check
  • And I think check tranny and rear end fluid
  • Brakes
Now that I think of it I should have had him do the alignment too, and the brakes are probably ready to be done but not at the dealer.

Anyways its a Caddy/BMW dealership too so I am sure there are more people than not that will buy it from them even at that markup.

·
Registered
563 Posts
you should do a top engine clean.

like seafoam or gm top engine cleaner. gets rid of all the carbon build up on the valves and stuff.

·
Registered
563 Posts
with sea foam, do you just dump a whole can into your oil about 200-500miles before oil change??
i've herd different things...
no. you remove a vaccuum line (for me usually the brake booster line) and let the engine suck in the seafoam or gm top engine cleaner (dont just stick the hose in the bottle, get a skinnier hose and put it in between the bottle and hose). be prepared for shit load of smoke out of the exhaust.

disclaimer: i am not responsible for any damages done to your vehicle for said procedures.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did all that today, then changed the oil. WHAT A HOOT!!! all that stinky white shit puffing out the tailpipe!

Now I can't even feel a vibration in the steering wheel. Excellent post and write up. Truck's got more pep to it and the peace-of-mind is great.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
you should clean your MAF sensor aswell.
i cleaned my MAF along with throttlebody/ clean filter.
truck ran great!
but when you clean your MAF ONLY USE MAF CLEANER

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had to, it was too much fun today.. I want to do it more often, but it'd be overkill.. So easy to do, so inexpensive and it feels good to not be overpaying the stealership to do the same overpriced thing..

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Yep all nice and easy stuff that can be done at home and save you a buttload of money!

·
Registered
519 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts