Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I have some cloth seats that need a really good cleaning. What do you suggest I do? They are Hummer H3 seats btw in black/tan. They look like they were in contact with skin a lot. Kind of a smeared darkness over them like if your arm were rubbing in one spot for a while. I can get some pictures up later if need be.

Either way I am looking for suggestions on how to get these things clean. Should I use an upholstery cleaner and brush to scrub them? Just a rag instead of a brush? What cleaner?

Also, whats is yous guys opinions ons the upholstery paint?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Spray with water, then simple green. Scrub with rag. Spray with water again. Extract with shop vac. Scrub with rag again.

Imo.
I don't have access to a shop vac right now :/

wait, what about a vacuum at the car wash?

·
Super Moderator
13,692 Posts
Break out your favorite carpet and upholstery cleaner and a scrub brush. Work the cleaner into the fabric and blot it away with a clean microfiber towel. Once the seats are dry, you can re-vacuum the treated area to fluff pile again. The vacuum at car wash will do the job nicely.

I never tried painting fabric, but I know Duplicolor offers products that are designed for fabric and vinyl.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
google for the fabric paint. it works, but may wear off after a while.
maybe get some seat covers?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can clean them at the June meet if u want; I'll have my gear with me
That would be awesome but I don't really want to wait that long to get them cleaned and in my truck lol (I want them clean before they are in my truck).

Break out your favorite carpet and upholstery cleaner and a scrub brush. Work the cleaner into the fabric and blot it away with a clean microfiber towel. Once the seats are dry, you can re-vacuum the treated area to fluff pile again. The vacuum at car wash will do the job nicely.

I never tried painting fabric, but I know Duplicolor offers products that are designed for fabric and vinyl.
will the scrub brush not mess up the cloth and make it all fuzzy or whatever?

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
Use a soft bristle brush. The brushes that come on some of the auto uphosterly cleaners will not damage. Just do not scrub like you are trying to get to china.

We have a car wash here that actually has a carpet/uphosterly cleaner at the vac station. Work great to. Little price but well worth it.

If you had access to a steam cleaner those work well. We have a little steam cleaner that I used once worked good. Slow going but good.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Use a soft bristle brush. The brushes that come on some of the auto uphosterly cleaners will not damage. Just do not scrub like you are trying to get to china.

We have a car wash here that actually has a carpet/uphosterly cleaner at the vac station. Work great to. Little price but well worth it.

If you had access to a steam cleaner those work well. We have a little steam cleaner that I used once worked good. Slow going but good.
any particular brush you would suggest? I am a total newb at this. Instead of a brush would a rag work?

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
Yeah you could use a rag. Just depends on how dirty the seats are.

I used some stuff made by turtle wax has a brush that comes with it. Got it at walmart. Worked really well. I know some do not like Turtle Wax product and I am not a huge fan either. But had to try it. Also ( I am sure all Walmarts are the same) Where the auto waxes and cleaning supplies are they have a section that has different brushes with it. I do not have a specific brand of brush to recommend I just found one with some what soft bristles. You could also look in the household cleaning supplies area too.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah you could use a rag. Just depends on how dirty the seats are.

I used some stuff made by turtle wax has a brush that comes with it. Got it at walmart. Worked really well. I know some do not like Turtle Wax product and I am not a huge fan either. But had to try it. Also ( I am sure all Walmarts are the same) Where the auto waxes and cleaning supplies are they have a section that has different brushes with it. I do not have a specific brand of brush to recommend I just found one with some what soft bristles. You could also look in the household cleaning supplies area too.
thanks I will try out everyone suggestions

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
613 Posts
Those were free samples that I picked up at the Miami boat show. The 303 productline is really good; their aerospace protectant is amazing. West marine usually stocks it ($$$), order direct online ($$), or I wait for Overtons to have a sale + free shipping ($)

·
Super Moderator
13,692 Posts
any particular brush you would suggest? I am a total newb at this. Instead of a brush would a rag work?
I use a soft, tampico-bristled brush. Its 1-1/4 x 4-3/4 inch in size so it can be easily manipulated between seat cushions. It's was about $5.

Natural tampico bristles are vegetable fibers that come from the Agave plant in Mexico. The bristles are soft to medium texture and are highly resistant to liquids, solvents, and heat. The fiber holds liquids well creating a great wash brush.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use a soft, tampico-bristled brush. Its 1-1/4 x 4-3/4 inch in size so it can be easily manipulated between seat cushions. It's was about $5.

Natural tampico bristles are vegetable fibers that come from the Agave plant in Mexico. The bristles are soft to medium texture and are highly resistant to liquids, solvents, and heat. The fiber holds liquids well creating a great wash brush.
oh cool thanks

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts

Only rich could make a fucking scrub brush sound sexy.

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
After you clean it, pick up some 3M Scotchgard in a spray can and spray your seats. Shit's like a seatcover in a can, for real. If you spill something it just beads up and you can wipe it away with a papertowel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts