Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 canyon crew Z71 4x4 with a 5.3 v8.

Stock tire size is 265/70/R17

After doing some research on the forum and other sites I decided to order a set of crager soft 8s 17x8 with 4.5" back spacing and ordered fierce attitude 265/70/R17 tires.

I installed then and was getting nasty rub on the front valance and plastic. I took the valance off and cut a bit of the plastic off.

No more rub in the front...

However this is where my headache begins...

Now after removing the valance I noticed rubbing on the body mount of the outside tread of the tire when turning the wheel. So, I began cranking the TBs. Well I cranked and cranked and could not get the tire to clear the body mount. The CV joint angle was terrible!

So... I got frustrated put the TBs back to stock height and brought the tires down to STS and had them put on my stock rims....

Now I have these sweet rims staring at me. How do you guys get these rims to fit?

Please help!

Also, the thought of lifting my truck came to mind but trying to find the correct parts for this truck is not easy!

Here is what my truck looked like....

(Why the pic is messed up I do not know)

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yup, you'll have to cut the body mount. Also, cranking up the torsion bars just draws the wheel closer to the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I can't seem to understand why a 4.5" backspaced wheel with a 265 tire is rubbing the body mount.

Are you 100% sure it was 4.5"? That tire sits out further than stock and you have a stock sized tire.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The wheel should be stamped with the offset.

The picture seems pretty useless when fractions of an inch are important. It looks like 4 3/4" or 4 13/16" to me in that picture.

Neither one are 4.5", is my point.

Be sure you know the wheel width, and see if the wheel is stamped with an offset. Then go here:
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

People run 4.5" all the time with a 265 tire and don't rub the body mount. Something just seems suspicious.

·
Registered
409 Posts
An 8'' wheel with 4.5'' BS is 0mm offset. That works fine for lifted trucks, but on a stock or TB cranked truck it the wheel is sitting 30+mm farther out than a OEM wheel. If you find a set of wheels with around 30mm offset your 265/70/17s will fit perfectly, and will not rub the lower valence or body mount. I'm running that tire size on a OEM sierra wheel (31mm offset) , stock suspension height (no crank) and it it doesn't rub at any point in turning/flex.

When your wheels have less offset (stick out more) they travel a greater arc when turning, which is why you run into trouble at the body mount, sway bar, or valence.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Interesting though, I don't rub anything and my backspace is like 5.2 or something silly like that. Also with 265 tires and I don't rub the body mount.

He sits further away and same size tire. Rubbing on his truck is nuts.....with the numbers he's provided.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rims are for sure 4.5" BS

They are crager soft 8 black PN 3978860. 17x8 4.5 backspace 0 mm offset.

I read they fit which is why I bought them. Maybe it's the tire with the different backspacing? 10.7" x 31.7".... I don't know but they rubbed the body mount pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I don't know what to say. I clear that tire with 5.2 (or something stupid like that).

16x8.5 +12 or +18.
265/75-16.

Sorry for your luck, that really sucks that they don't fit properly.

And I'm sure you confirmed the wheel they sent you was what you asked for. It's only partially unlikely there was a shipping error, but there was a guy a few weeks ago who had to send his wheels back because they were delivered incorrectly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts