Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently (2000miles ago) installed a 5" lift kit with 33" tires on my 2wd isuzu i290. it only started yesterday, but it's starting to tick on the right side under regular acceleration, but then once i get past 15mph it goes away... I noticed it yesterday when i was pulling up to lowes while braking and turning to the left. It almost sounds like my tires are tapping the plastic lower bumper valence, and i probably would have just let it be, but i've removed the valence a few weeks ago... any input? Local mechanics say wheel bearing, others say i need to replace my tie rods. Any input is greatly appreciated!!
:salute:
Rob

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
U can get wheel bearings off amazon for cheap with abs sensors.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Where on the ride does the sound seem to be coming from?

Any chance it can be the universal joint? Maybe you're just hearing the sound off to the right. But you haven't said were on the right the sound seems to be coming from.

Does it always happen at speeds below 15? You said under acceleration and during braking. What about when coasting?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've not noticed it while coasting, but i dont usually spend a lot of time coasting below 20mph, it is a manual, idk if i mentioned that in the op. it sounds like its coming from the right side, but what you mentioned (08canyon) has me questioning that now...
@gway does that seem like it could be it? the mechanic said a clicking noise like this would only be from a wheel bearing, and not possible to come from a tie rod unless it was coming completely off.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No im not familiar with any ujoint symptoms...but that could possibly explain the slack in my drivetrain also, or worn gears... anyhow, im thinking the ujoints would be a good idea to replace, does the two piece driveshaft have 2 separate ujoints?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
You'll have at least 2 ujoints. I don't remember if the 2 piece has any at the carrier or not.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
rear end clunk is probalby okay (depends on how bad it is in person though).

If you hear a clunk when you shift between foward/reverse or when you first engage from park then that is slop in the universal, most of the time. A visual inspection should trump that though since you've since had a chance to look it over. They get dry, and the needle bearings pulverize, causing slop. Also they hum, usually at highway speeds.

If it doesn't have those symptoms then your universals are more likely good than bad.

Rock stuck in the tire? Or in the rotating assembly that may be hitting a dust rotor backing plate?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rear end clunk is probalby okay (depends on how bad it is in person though).

If you hear a clunk when you shift between foward/reverse or when you first engage from park then that is slop in the universal, most of the time. A visual inspection should trump that though since you've since had a chance to look it over. They get dry, and the needle bearings pulverize, causing slop. Also they hum, usually at highway speeds.

If it doesn't have those symptoms then your universals are more likely good than bad.

Rock stuck in the tire? Or in the rotating assembly that may be hitting a dust rotor backing plate?
No rocks in the tires, but there definitely is slack after shifting between 1st and reverse. There's no vibration other than on immediate take off, none while cruising through town, or at highway speeds... its starting to sound like a building material cart from lowes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts