Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so far I have soldered in LEDs in the 4x4 circuit board and the head light switch circuit board with no problem using 5mm LEDs and resisters on the positive lead.

When I went to do the climate control, I check what is positive and negative, soldered on my LEDs, and checked to see if they were lighting up in the truck. At this point two were not working, so I resoldered them. Tested again and 3 sent working. Tried to resolder again and now one of the contacts on the board won't accept solder, I can't get the led soldered on.
So I gave up for the night, put it all together and back in the truck and now I don't have any LEDs on the climate control working!

Has anyone had this? What could my problem be? Do I need a new climate control board or can I fix it?
Everything else works on the board, just no lights.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had this exact same problem, it happened the first time I ever did an LED install on my climate controls. The boards on the climate control are pretty cheap. After heating up and cooling down those solder points on the board a couple times, eventually they fall off and no matter what you do you won't be able to make a connection. It happened to me, so my solution was to run small gauged wire from the large negative and positive pins to all the negative and positive locations. Just take a multi-meter and find the ground pin and find the pin that has positive 12v when you turn your headlights on. It's a lot more work, but it will solve your problem. Ever since then I've learned to be extra sensitive when it comes to working on those circuit boards.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Youre welcome! Same size wire that I used. Mine's lasted almost a year now with zero problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts