Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Im new the forum, and I am "close " to purchasing this 05 with 130k miles. I have some concerns, as I had a mechanic look over the truck. My biggest concern is an oil leak that looks like it is originating at the back of the engine, it is not profuse, but evident. Could this be a leaky rear seal, or a valve cover gasket? I believe a rear seal is a costly repair. The right front axle seal is also leaking, The engine runs smooth and quiet, transmission feels
good in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. The passenger side window doesnt work, and the heater/def/ac fan is noisy. Body and Paint are fair.
Is $6500.00 too much for this truck?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
460 Posts
How good are you with wrenches ? While not super high in miles it is an old truck and it would be foolish to think it will not require periodic repairs. For example that front axle seal is a $400.00 - $500.00 cost to replace a $9.50 seal at a shop. As a former new car salesman after a certain point a vehicle has to stand on it's own merit as to price . Without the benefit of seeing it I would guess that $4500.00 would be it's value.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How good are you with wrenches ? While not super high in miles it is an old truck and it would be foolish to think it will not require periodic repairs. For example that front axle seal is a $400.00 - $500.00 cost to replace a $9.50 seal at a shop. As a former new car salesman after a certain point a vehicle has to stand on it's own merit as to price . Without the benefit of seeing it I would guess that $4500.00 would be it's value.
As a current owner of a 2005 Canyon (SLE, 4x4, 149k miles) I'd agree with the $4,500 estimate. My truck I'd guess would be worth about $6,500, and it's in better condition than the one you're describing. I've replaced my own front axle seals, and it's a bit of a hassle to get to them. Never got a quote on having a shop do them, but $400-500 in labor sounds about right. Honestly, you might as well do a bunch of other front-end stuff while you're there.

Overall, my experience with the Canyon over the last 15 years has been pretty good. Not being a mechanic, I've been able to do a lot of work myself to keep everything running. Parts are relatively cheap, and a decent set of tools plus loaners from AutoZone have worked fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts