Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im Starting to make a list of things Iam going to need when I replace the front suspension components but its got my heading thinking even more now.

Replacing
Struts - Going to Rancho.
Springs - Stock V8 or Stock i4/5
Sway bar connects if needed or stretched

I am going to be lifting just can't decide which one yet.
My biggest concern though is if the v8 and i4/5 coil springs are different. On Rock Auto there is no Part # for the v8 ones, but on GMParts there is a different part #. Each one says it fits all formats but doesnt mention z85 or zq8. Does anyone know the difference? I am looking to replace the stock ones i have because I'm sure they are sagging. Want z85 stock, but maybe the v8 coils are larger/stiffer. Any help appreciated.

i4/5 - 15167971
v8 - 25788921

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
I believe the only diff is spring rates. The v8 coil will be stiffer but the dimensions should be the same. Maybe try looking up an 09 v8 for the part number. Just a thought
Also the zq8 coil is the factory lowered not sure if you were asking that or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it came the same for 09 and 10, only 2 years that i looked. Its hard to tell whats what.. I might be better off just getting regular z85 springs from rockauto or ebay and not worrying about whats what. Throwing too much confusion into it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
a stiffer spring, will net you some lift...even if its identical in size to your i4/i5 spring. I dont think it would be a bad idea to go with the v8 springs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it would be great if they made them. Just did some more digging and seems like the v8 springs are only different for the zq8, I guess because they are lowered and more likely to bottom out. Maybe I'm just better off getting fox, king or icons and adapters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got all the shocks/struts this week and should be doing a quick install as soon as I have a few days to get everything in. I also ordered some new z85 coils to be safe. When I got my struts in, Bilstein HDs, my brain began to brainstorm a little. Looking at the strut and coil seat, which is removable, it looks like the coil seat could be installed upside down to gain some lift. Just curious if anyone has tried this.

Correct side up

Upside Down

Another thought is why not add some type of small spacer underneath the coil seat. Any thoughts or am I just being dumb.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thread revival!!! What was the part number on these? I'm looking for new struts as I just got rid of my fox coilovers and want something stiff so I was also thinking about going with the these exact bilsteins and possibly the v8 springs for that stiffness. Any input would help... Thanks in advance bro

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts