Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok for the guys that are running a 4 link kit or anybody that knows about them, what spring rate did you go with for drag racing and did you use the same spring for street use? i want to have 2 sets of coilover springs one for the drag and one for street. i know i want to go soft for drag racing but i dont know how soft to go...also i dont know how stiff to go for street use...i know the GVWR is 5,000lbs and the rear is 2,447lbs but i dont know what the payload is on this trucks...but im still a little confused as to how the spring rate works...i have an 09 ext cab and im going to narrow the backhalf and i already have the 4 link with the coilover shocks but still dont know which springs would work...so if anybody has any help i would really appreciate it, thanks in advance

·
pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
1,999 Posts
Sorry this doesn't answer your question as I'm also curious about this.

What 4 link kit did you get? Link to that kit?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
1,999 Posts
Cool, also your truck shouldn't weigh 5,000...my crew cab weighed in at 4000, so you can probably figure a little less on the weight.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thats the number i got from the label on the truck but the number is for maximum operating weight, i dont know what the payload capacity is so i can subtract it from that to find out what actual weight is and i dont really have access to vehicle scale where im at

·
Boosted V8
1,440 Posts
gotta move the fueltank pretty certain just a heads up..... do you have a landscape wholesaler near you, sometimes they have scales

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gotta move the fueltank pretty certain just a heads up..... do you have a landscape wholesaler near you, sometimes they have scales
yeah i already planned on it. fuel cell is shipping right now and ima mount it on the bed

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Hey I'm not trying to discourage you or even change your mind on your project. Everything I say is my opinions backed up with my own years of experience. Everyone has theirs and some may differ. With that said, I have a couple questions for you. Looking at you original post looks like you are building a street and strip truck. (1) what is your goal E.T. and MPH? (2) What is going to be you Hp and Tq levels? my reason for asking is sounds like you may have some plans in place for your project.

Now about 4 link and spring rates. For a 4 link to work properly you need at least 45% of the vehicles weight on the rear. The suggestions of weighing you true is true. You need to know the front and rear weight along with total weight too. This may sound funny but your weight also has to be factored in to the left side weight when setting up your suspension. If you do not agree with this it is ok. This is only the ideas theories and opinions of one man. A little background on me I drag raced for over 20 years and had several cars with 4 link suspension on them. My first and very real suggestion to you, and to all racers is to buy some books on basic race car chassis design and adjustments before you ever buy parts and cut or weld anything. If you are interested I can recommend some good books for you.

Hey consider this too, have you thought about using maybe some Caltrac bars or even Karlen here builds so good bars for the Colorado that work. If you consider that caltrac bars power plenty of drag cars into the 9's and they are less work and easier to install.

About weighting your truck another source is a moving company. That is where I got mine done. My crewcab only weights 4030. You can't use the weight on the sticker. Also you should make a line or use tape to mark half the wheel base of your truck and get that weight. Then measure 1/2 of the total length of your truck and get that weight too.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Here is a spring rate calc. Not normally used for drag/street application. More along the lines of offroad racers. But it should get you in the ballpark Sway-A-Way Calculators

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey I'm not trying to discourage you or even change your mind on your project. Everything I say is my opinions backed up with my own years of experience. Everyone has theirs and some may differ. With that said, I have a couple questions for you. Looking at you original post looks like you are building a street and strip truck. (1) what is your goal E.T. and MPH? (2) What is going to be you Hp and Tq levels? my reason for asking is sounds like you may have some plans in place for your project.

Now about 4 link and spring rates. For a 4 link to work properly you need at least 45% of the vehicles weight on the rear. The suggestions of weighing you true is true. You need to know the front and rear weight along with total weight too. This may sound funny but your weight also has to be factored in to the left side weight when setting up your suspension. If you do not agree with this it is ok. This is only the ideas theories and opinions of one man. A little background on me I drag raced for over 20 years and had several cars with 4 link suspension on them. My first and very real suggestion to you, and to all racers is to buy some books on basic race car chassis design and adjustments before you ever buy parts and cut or weld anything. If you are interested I can recommend some good books for you.

Hey consider this too, have you thought about using maybe some Caltrac bars or even Karlen here builds so good bars for the Colorado that work. If you consider that caltrac bars power plenty of drag cars into the 9's and they are less work and easier to install.

About weighting your truck another source is a moving company. That is where I got mine done. My crewcab only weights 4030. You can't use the weight on the sticker. Also you should make a line or use tape to mark half the wheel base of your truck and get that weight. Then measure 1/2 of the total length of your truck and get that weight too.
currently im running [email protected] with 332HP and 317TQ but im spinning all the way through 3rd gear. i know for the whole rear end setup im building would be way too much overkill for what i currently have but i just like the idea of having a strong rearend ready for when i do more engine work later this year. also i got some m/t drag slicks and they're 29.5x13.5 so i went with the 4 link kit so i can narrow the rearend and tuck the tires under the bed instead of going with just the caltrac bars. what books do you recommend? i have a couple books already for the differential, axles, drivetrains, and transmissions. thats how i build my rear end but havent thought about one for the chassis. what will those weights give me?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Hey I've been out of racing since 85 and found that most of the books I was formulator with are no longer in print. My favorite book has now been converted to dvd and it is by Dave Morgan. Dave use to work for Chris and Tom Alston when he was in California. He ran their drag suspension school. Here is a link to Dave's dvd's Dave Morgan DVDs: Drag Racing Chassis Videos. I have never watched Dave's dvd's but I did own his books and attended his seminar while he was at Alston Engineering. His Door slammers chassis book was great and looks like the info was moved to his dvd's. Another source is Jerry brickel Race cars here is his offerings Drag Racing Books - Drag Racing Software - Jerry Bickel Race Cars Hope these will help you some. Near the end of my racing career we started using a software program by a fellow racer named Pat Hale. He had a 4 link program that worked good. However he is no longer in business.

So what rear end are you planning on using? Here is another option not sure if you have considered it. You may want to back-half the truck that way you get you frame rails moved in and a location for your 4 link brackets. If you don't want to tub the bed you can also move the springs inboard of the frame like we use to do with early S/S Nova's and Cuda's.

Hey pm me you email address and I have a lot of notes from over the years that I have collected and I will send them to you in PDF or work document form.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey I've been out of racing since 85 and found that most of the books I was formulator with are no longer in print. My favorite book has now been converted to dvd and it is by Dave Morgan. Dave use to work for Chris and Tom Alston when he was in California. He ran their drag suspension school. Here is a link to Dave's dvd's Dave Morgan DVDs: Drag Racing Chassis Videos. I have never watched Dave's dvd's but I did own his books and attended his seminar while he was at Alston Engineering. His Door slammers chassis book was great and looks like the info was moved to his dvd's. Another source is Jerry brickel Race cars here is his offerings Drag Racing Books - Drag Racing Software - Jerry Bickel Race Cars Hope these will help you some. Near the end of my racing career we started using a software program by a fellow racer named Pat Hale. He had a 4 link program that worked good. However he is no longer in business.

So what rear end are you planning on using? Here is another option not sure if you have considered it. You may want to back-half the truck that way you get you frame rails moved in and a location for your 4 link brackets. If you don't want to tub the bed you can also move the springs inboard of the frame like we use to do with early S/S Nova's and Cuda's.

Hey pm me you email address and I have a lot of notes from over the years that I have collected and I will send them to you in PDF or work document form.
i'm going to use the moser ford 9in with a Detroit locker...yeah that was my plan all along i already got everything to back-half the truck, only waiting on shipping so i can start working on the truck already...but unfortunately still havent decided on what springs to buy haha i think ima get the 100-200lbs/in progressive spring rate spring from comp engineering...for most of what i heard its a hit and miss until you find the right spring for the application...i'll probably end up with a couple sets of springs until i find the right one...and thanks for all the info it was really usefull...i'll post a thread once i get started working on the truck if you want to check it out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts