Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

New to the group and have a 2007 Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 with a 3.7L 5 cylinder! I've had the truck for 12 years now, and want to keep her around a little more, especially with how expensive trucks are these days.

Anyway interested in either doing an engine rebuild or engine swap. I've obviously considered putting a 5.3L, and open to that. But I want something that I can tow more with (Got a Jeep), and do get around town with, so nothing too sup'd up (Still the Family/Work Truck)! Not to mention would like to get a little better Fuel Economy!

That might be asking a lot from these trucks, but anyone got recommendations?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you looking to tow?
In the near future my Jeep Wrangler cross country. Right now it’s stock, but over time I’m going to Mod it, so she’ll gain some weight.
In General I’d like to increase towing capacity, but to the very least tow the Jeep with payload and family in the truck cross country. Got a Move coming up

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Don't expect to tow a lot, even if you swap in a 5.3L. I have a 2010 Canyon with the factory 5.3 and bought a 25' camper I thought I was going to tow with it. It had enough power, but even though I was within the published towing capacity of the Canyon, the truck just was not heavy enough to comfortably tow the camper. The camper pushed it around quite a bit, so much that I bought a Suburban to tow the camper with. A couple of weeks ago I need to go pick up some tractor implements I had ordered and my Suburban needed (still needs actually) brakes so I hooked up my trailer pictured below to the Canyon and went to get them. It is a 20ft. 13,000lb. GVW trailer that I use to haul my tractor with (behind the Suburban, I would never attempt it with the Canyon) and empty it weighs 3,100lbs. Loaded with the tractor implements (a brush hog and a land plane) I was probably close to 5,000lbs and I would not want to go any heavier with the Canyon as a tow vehicle. It does fine with small trailers but big trailers.....the tail wags the dog.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

·
2 timer
1,539 Posts
10Canyon53 said a lot, it might have the power to pull, but it's light weight makes it tougher to tow with. You still have physics to deal with.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
That's a great idea! How many parts do you need from the "donor vehicle"? PCM? BCM? I'm very interested in this engine swap. I also wonder if "go fast" parts are more readily available for the 4.2 than they are for the 3.5 in my '04.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's a great idea! How many parts do you need from the "donor vehicle"? PCM? BCM? I'm very interested in this engine swap. I also wonder if "go fast" parts are more readily available for the 4.2 than they are for the 3.5 in my '04.
Doesn’t take much. I reflashed my o8 Ecu/tcu to a 4.2. Bcm is fine. All gauges work. Still gotta get abs right. Should be doable like v8 swaps. I’m gonna write up swap soon.
Writing implement Office supplies Pen Office equipment Rectangle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts