Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck was hit by lightning 2 years ago. Had it at the dealership for over a month and said it was fixed. All the electrical was wiped out. Now my truck will not start on occasions. The lights, radio, ect.. work so I know it not a battery issue. There is no noise when I try to start it. I do get an error message on the dash:traction, brake, and ABS fault. I have had it to several mechanics and they can't find anything wrong. Please help!!! I appreciate any advise!!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
That could be a tough one,just guessing maybe a Body Control Module? You would think it would throw a code on a good GM tech scanner.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Any new work or modifications to the truck lately? Seems suspicious that the work performed 2 years ago is all of a sudden creating today's problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any new work or modifications to the truck lately? Seems suspicious that the work performed 2 years ago is all of a sudden creating today's problems.
It began to not start shortly after the dealership said they fixed it. Brought it back to them several times and they found no problems. It will not start in about 1 out of 15 tries. Eventually it will start
up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I work for a forklift OEM, basically the same as an automobile. The hardest gremlins to solve are those created by a lightning strike.

Yes 08Canyon; things can go wrong days, weeks, months, and years later after a strike. For instance; solder may slightly brake but still have a connection, a few bumps later it fails.

DEP

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
...The hardest gremlins to solve are those created by a lightning strike.

Yes 08Canyon; things can go wrong days, weeks, months, and years later after a strike. For instance; solder may slightly brake but still have a connection, a few bumps later it fails.

DEP
Yep.
Unless the entire electrical system is replaced, there's no way to be sure, ever.

OP, you need someone to do a step-by-step troubleshooting job on this.
As in, starting with a mutimeter at the starter... is it getting a start signal there?

If not then is the PCM outputing the start signal?
If not then why? If yes then where is it getting lost between the PCM output and the starter? Is the start relay being actuated?

... and so forth.

You may need someone other than a dealer service department.
They'll probably just swap parts until something happens.

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground to me on one of the circuits. It's tough to say what it might be without knowing what exactly was changed and seen as a problem after the lightning strike.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
It began to not start shortly after the dealership said they fixed it. Brought it back to them several times and they found no problems. It will not start in about 1 out of 15 tries. Eventually it will start
up.
Sorry. The way I understood it was 2 years ago you had a lightening strike, and now it doesn't start (2 years later).

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
If the truck doesn't start and you have a flashing (or steady, can't remember) padlock icon, then it's Passlock preventing the vehicle from starting.

·
How d'ya like them apples
941 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts