Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Could anyone help me with navigating what engines I can upgrade to for my 2012 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 with factory 5.3. I would like to maintain the factory harness and transmission, I have been looking at the GM Performance L96 ....
any info or input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Wish I could help with that info. Should be someone or some post already on the forum with that info for you. Maybe a K&N or AEM air filter, plus open up the intake part of the stock air housing at the fender. Then add a Supermod ported throttle body. Then get one of his street tunes that fits your driving style and habits. This is allot cheaper than a new motor and it definitely increases performance. It will get the most out of the stock motor without major cost.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Really you can drop in any LS, Gen III will require you to swap over some stuff from the 5.3 (sensors, intake mani, front timing cover and cam gear etc). Any Gen IV (07-13) should work. If it has AFM you'll need to delete it. Your 5.3 has VVT but that can be deleted as well.

On that note, the L96 will be a direct swap for your 5.3. Just need to tune for larger displacement and you're set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts