Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a set in the rear doors of a crew cab? I know the rears are just 6 1/2s. But I'm just wondering how good a set of components would be in the back even though i don't sit back there.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Rears are the same size as the front.

I didn't put them in the rears because they cost $100 more than coaxials.
I have PolkDXI all around.

Of course you need to cut an adaptor ring, purchase an adaptor ring or disassemble the factory speaker and use basked to drop your new speaker into.

High frequency speakers (tweeters) are directional. With comonents in the rear you can aim the tweeters. But.....where are you aiming them at? You aren't necessarily going to notice better/worse placement with rear speakers. It might be louder though since they are larger than those used in coaxial speakers.

If you just want new speakers, it's probably not a good use of money and the amp to drive them. If you are going to enter audio competitions, then go for it as it will clean up the sound at the high power required for competition.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was only asking because I found a killer deal on some Cadence components. They are $125 for both sets. They are rated at 100 watts rms. So they would be perfect for when I buy an amp but will sound great since I just replaced my factory head unit.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Well then there ya go!

Just a little more challenging on your labor but that's probably worth it.

So long as Cadence is actually worth the money (I don't know the name to speak of their quality).

Just remember the old saying that usually comes true eventually.

"If it sounds to good to be true it probably is"

*EDIT*
I looked at one 6.5" Cadence component speaker and it says it requires a 3" mounting depth. The Polk speakers I have say 2". You should check the depth of your doors (with the windows down) to ensure 3" depth will fit.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Cadence is one of those brands that when they came out, came out with some amazing stuff, then after a couple years went to crap. I still currently have their entire line of Amadeus amplifiers, fairly small packages with great power and sound, just waiting to go in something. I had all cadence equipment in my truck, CVL components, CVL mid bass drivers, and amplifiers, the only thing that wasn't cadence was my JL audio 10w3 sub, and my truck sounded great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used MB QUART in all of my other trucks. The sound is great but just want to try something different. Sometimes it's best to stay with what you're used to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well then there ya go!

Just a little more challenging on your labor but that's probably worth it.

So long as Cadence is actually worth the money (I don't know the name to speak of their quality).

Just remember the old saying that usually comes true eventually.

"If it sounds to good to be true it probably is"

*EDIT*
I looked at one 6.5" Cadence component speaker and it says it requires a 3" mounting depth. The Polk speakers I have say 2". You should check the depth of your doors (with the windows down) to ensure 3" depth will fit.

Are the component DXI's worth the extra trouble for personal use? I'm not keen on cutting up the door panel.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I don't know, I probably wouldn't do it. The extra benefit is you get the high's (but they come from behind you anyway). You've gotta find a way to mount the cross over too, cut a door panel as you've said all on top of custom fitting the speaker (which you have to do anyway in a crew cab).

Plus they cost a lot more.

I went with components in the front and coaxial in the rear, all 4 DXI. I'm happy and don't feel it is necessary for me to have more high's in the rear.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Oops. For some reason I though you were curious about installing components in the rear doors. Sorry about that.

If you don't mind doing a little extra work and the money isn't a concern, go ahead and do components in the front doors. You can glue the tweeters behind the door panel if you wanted to, instead of cutting a larger opening to accommodate the new tweeter. The crossover proves to be a little tricky, but not impossible.

They do sound really good. If you don't plan to replace your HU with a decent RMS power unit, or an amp, then stick with coaxials as they are a little lower rated in RMS.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
In my experience, Infinity speakers sound more tinny and full of high notes. Everybody is different and there are a lot of Infinity lovers here.

I have my Polk's amp'd and they do have a pretty full sound.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any decision, honestly. Infinity and Polk are both good, medium level speakers. Components are a little more power hungry and a little more tricky to install. But if you went with Coaxials you'll still have a nice sound.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I have Polk component speakers in the front and a pair of Polk midrange in the rear doors of my crewcab.

I recently purchased an additional set of Polk tweeters intending to mount them in the rear doors.
Now though I'm considering mounting them on or in the "b-pillar", up high near the headliner where they'll be almost in line with my ears.
Should be plenty of space to mount them in the panel, if not they'll be fine mounted on the surface.
May buy a small amp just for them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts