Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Proud Nation Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanna do the big three upgrade but by searching and googling all i am is fuking confused so could someone look at this settup and tell me wat they think and help me plzzzz.
First of all my setup

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH Headunit
HiFonics BRX 1100.1D AMP
HiFonics ZXi80.4 Zeus AMP
HiFonics 6.5 Components in the doors
RE Audio 10" Subs x 2

Now this is wat i wanna do. for the Big 3 upgrade i want to use 4awg for the upgrade and run a 1/0 gauge to the back to a power block and off to the 2 amps with 4 gauge wire,
now i have some knukoncept 1/0 wire but its cca and ive been reading use cca, use ofc, use this use that its confusing, ive learned about newtons law, ohms law every othere fucking law there is, all i want to no is will the 4awg wire be ok for the upgrade, or if i can use the KK 1/0 cca wire since i already have it, plz, just tell me in simple terms

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: Confused as fu-k

Copper-clad aluminium wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" requirements. These applications include high-quality coils, such as the voice coils in headphones, or portable loudspeakers ; high"

Oxygen-free copper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"h-end speaker wire industry markets oxygen-free copper as having enhanced conductivity or other electrical properties that are supposedly advantageous to audio signal transmission. "

Both of those links tell me little to nothing over all in regards to actual sound quality or exacting level of transmission based on x voltage or ohms or etc....
I've purchased kits from walmart, best buy even, parts-direct.com I doubt changing the wire from one copper variant to the next is going to produce anything that will ever be audible especially in a truck.

Edit : the OFC page includes this tid bit "Much more expensive C10100, a highly refined copper with silver impurities removed and oxygen reduced to 0.0005%, has only a one percent higher conductivity—insignificant in audio applications.[8] OFC is nevertheless valued by some[who?] for both audio and video signals in audio playback systems and home cinema.[8] By way of example, the resistance of most metallic conductors increases by about 1% for every 3 °C (5 °F) increase in temperature which means a small temperature rise would negate any benefit of having better conductors."

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ofc is better than cca,
It's been said 1/0 cca performs the same as 4ga ofc. But since you're running 1/0 to the back it won't mean much if your running 4 for the big three. Bigger is better so since you have the 1/0 just use that for the big 3.
My opinion of course.

·
Proud Nation Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ofc is better than cca,
It's been said 1/0 cca performs the same as 4ga ofc. But since you're running 1/0 to the back it won't mean much if your running 4 for the big three. Bigger is better so since you have the 1/0 just use that for the big 3.
My opinion of course.
Plain and simple, thanks, i no the ofc is better than the cca, but i dont play my music to the max for hours or with out the motor running for any lenght of time, also from what i can gather is the current draw from te amps are not constant so i dont see why the cca wont do the job, without the big 3 upgrade and running a 4 gauge wire from bat to amps the only lights that dim are the leds on the amps so i think ill try the cca, if it dot work then ill change it, also shit the power companies run thousands of volts through aluminum wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts