Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So in the "never ending" quest of mine to get the best I can out of my audio system I'm contemplating going active. My system so far consists of a JVC KW-AVX706 head unit. A Memphis Belle 5 channel amp 1-2 bridged to left front door, 3-4 bridged to right front door for close to 220 watts rms to each door and the sub wired to 1ohm mono for 1100 watts rms. The rear doors still have the stockers powered off the deck. I set the gains out of the amp with a digital multimeter so I know that these ratings are correct. In my doors I'm running a pair of CDT HD-62's with the upgraded CDT 560 crossovers in order to handle the power I'm putting to them. For the sub I'm running a single 12" Sound Splinter dual 2ohm voice coil with the box tuned to 32hz. I've had it metered and hit 141.9 on music.

So now that that's out of the way there are a few questions that I have.

1. Would I be able to go active with the current amp that I have?? I'm thinking not. Simply because, as I understand it, I would need to use 4 channels of the amp just to power each mid (2) and each tweet (2) but would not be bridging the amp thus running less power to each speaker. Resulting in less audio output. But still running the same 1100 watts to the sub. Which leads me to my next question.

2. So would I be better off running a large 4 channel say a 200X4 to take care of the doors and get a second mono block amp to power the sub????

3. By going active is there a "happy medium" that can be found in order to listen to multiple types of music ranging from old rock to hip hop to tech no to classical without always having to change settings???

I know going active can be a major undertaking as far as the tuning goes so is it really worth it???????

·
Registered
44 Posts
So in the "never ending" quest of mine to get the best I can out of my audio system I'm contemplating going active. My system so far consists of a JVC KW-AVX706 head unit. A Memphis Belle 5 channel amp 1-2 bridged to left front door, 3-4 bridged to right front door for close to 220 watts rms to each door and the sub wired to 1ohm mono for 1100 watts rms. The rear doors still have the stockers powered off the deck. I set the gains out of the amp with a digital multimeter so I know that these ratings are correct. In my doors I'm running a pair of CDT HD-62's with the upgraded CDT 560 crossovers in order to handle the power I'm putting to them. For the sub I'm running a single 12" Sound Splinter dual 2ohm voice coil with the box tuned to 32hz. I've had it metered and hit 141.9 on music.

So now that that's out of the way there are a few questions that I have.

1. Would I be able to go active with the current amp that I have?? I'm thinking not. Simply because, as I understand it, I would need to use 4 channels of the amp just to power each mid (2) and each tweet (2) but would not be bridging the amp thus running less power to each speaker. Resulting in less audio output. But still running the same 1100 watts to the sub. Which leads me to my next question.

2. So would I be better off running a large 4 channel say a 200X4 to take care of the doors and get a second mono block amp to power the sub????

3. By going active is there a "happy medium" that can be found in order to listen to multiple types of music ranging from old rock to hip hop to tech no to classical without always having to change settings???

I know going active can be a major undertaking as far as the tuning goes so is it really worth it???????

Hot Dog Here We Go. First of all great questions. I will give you my opinion and that's all I can do.
The reason that the average audio guy doesn't want anything to do with this setup is because it is not plug and play.
I know you from our conversations and know that you are willing to listen, research, and go the extra mile to get what you what.

First of all going Active is not as difficult as it may sound but does require patients.
Second once you are set up with the basic components the sky is the limit on what can be done.
Third you will never, ever settle for anything else. Anybody that has done it will confirm this.

It takes one four channel amp to run one set of components. If your amp is 100X4 that means you will be running 400 watts to one set of components.
You see any gain here? Is the highs over powering the mids? It's all a matter of fine tuning the gains and x-overs to get the perfect blend.

The signals of each range are set before they reach the amp. Meaning the amp only has to boost the preset range. Hard to explain but I think you get the idea.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So really in essence with the amp only having to amplify the preset range instead of the hole spectrum then it also allows the amp to run more efficiently??

So then the amp that I have right now "might" be all that I would need (for the time being) with taking it out of bridged mode (1ohm) and running it true 4 channel (2ohm)??

I'm just trying to understand how a speaker that is currently being powered at 220 watts and loves the power would still sound good with only half the power. Even though that power is super clean. I mean I know the signal that they are getting now is clean (not clipped) it's just not as clean as it could be or so I think......

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
yep im that average guy!!!!!!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^ Give er time bro!!! ^^^^

:lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
So really in essence with the amp only having to amplify the preset range instead of the hole spectrum then it also allows the amp to run more efficiently??

So then the amp that I have right now "might" be all that I would need (for the time being) with taking it out of bridged mode (1ohm) and running it true 4 channel (2ohm)??

I'm just trying to understand how a speaker that is currently being powered at 220 watts and loves the power would still sound good with only half the power. Even though that power is super clean. I mean I know the signal that they are getting now is clean (not clipped) it's just not as clean as it could be or so I think......

The way you have yours configured then yes you will be losing watts if you run it as a normal 4 channel.
It think with your amp @4ohms you'll be sending only 75 watts to each tweet and each mid.
You got those power hunger CDT's :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The way you have yours configured then yes you will be losing watts if you run it as a normal 4 channel.
It think with your amp @4ohms you'll be sending only 75 watts to each tweet and each mid.
You got those power hunger CDT's :)
Ya exactly!! That's why I'm saying I'd probably be better off going with a big 4 channel that has the ability to push 200 @ 4ohm X 4. Because they absolutely love the 220 watts that are going to them now.

So thoughts or ideas on which amp would do this well. I mean here we are back to the drawing board. I'm having trouble finding "other" companies that produce amps that have that big of power without going to JL, Kicker, etc. etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
But seriously if you really feel that the HD 62's need 220 watts why not leave them as is and get a second 2 channel amp just to run the tweets.
There is no way that the tweets are using anywhere near 220 watts at any given time.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I know one thing with the old 480 crossovers that came with them the tweets would shut down at even minimal volume / wattage. So I did some checking around and found out that the crossovers could only handle 100 to 150 watts max before the tweets went into protection. Now it's not that the tweets couldn't handle it it was the crossover that was shutting them down. So that's why I ended up with the 560's. I have NO issues what so ever. Now I will say that you are correct in saying that they are by no means using the full 220 watts but it's over the 100 to 150.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
memphis mojo 4k???? then maybe a PR memphis for the mids and higs???
See for the Sub I'm looking at keeping it right around the 1k range. It's the mids and highs that I'm running into an issue. Hell I might need to go to 2 2 channels and one mono........ :shrug: :shrug:

X

·
0 Posts
what kind you lookin to get. i hear memphis is the best and after havin memphis its not the same if you stick with it....:shrug:

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Although I'm in love with Sundown Audio they don't make anything you want.
But US Amps has got you covered. I don't know if these guys are authorized US Amps dealers (doubt it) but is a great price.
http://carjamz.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1670

Official Website
http://www.usamps.com/

Official Forum
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showforum=43
Well I'm not so sure about the statement about sundown making anything I'd want. If I change up everything they have some nice mono blocks in there.

I'm trying to research the us amps right now!!!! Thanks for the links.

So now that you've had the time to play with your Audio Control DQXS do you feel that this unit is the shizzle or would you recommend anything else??

·
Registered
44 Posts
I meant nothing for the components. Sundown mono amps are freaking awesome.
The DQXS has been great. I like it because it is simple to use. With the remote you can play with it while driving. Of course I would never do that.
There are tons of processor out there and all the top dogs have a loyal following so it's a matter of opinion and personal preference on them.
You'll love being able to "precisely" change the crossover frequencies on the fly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Damn Hannibal.....your new avatar makes me dizzy.:runbarf:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts