Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking to Richard over at Atomic fabrication ( he makes coil over kits for 1500 trucks). He is also looking into making a kit for the 4x4 1st gens. I’m trying to gather info for him on here. So I have a few questions.
1. Will the 2wd coil spring control arms bolt up to a 4x4 frame?
2. If the above is true will the ball joints connect to the 4x4 knuckle?
3. If the top two are true will there be a significant track width difference? I thought the Z71s had a slightly wider track than the Z85s

thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
I have been talking to Richard over at Atomic fabrication ( he makes coil over kits for 1500 trucks). He is also looking into making a kit for the 4x4 1st gens. I’m trying to gather info for him on here. So I have a few questions.
1. Will the 2wd coil spring control arms bolt up to a 4x4 frame?
2. If the above is true will the ball joints connect to the 4x4 knuckle?
3. If the top two are true will there be a significant track width difference? I thought the Z71s had a slightly wider track than the Z85s

thanks for the help guys.
Wish I had information for you. A coilover conversion would make my truck soooo much nicer on my camping trips.

Good luck. I’ll be following this thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after talking to Richard he won’t know if it can work for sure unless he gets a truck in his possession to test fit stuff. I would be willing to if my truck wasn’t my daily driver.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you aware that Michigan Metal Works has jigs for constructing Colorado and Hummer arms and will do custom work to your specifications?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am aware that they make them. I also know that "I" don't like the flat plate design. I have seen those (not theirs specifically) bend under hard use. I also know that from reading here that they do custom work. I'm just letting everyone know that Richard was looking into something many people have said they want and that others have said can't be done. There is not much that can happen right now until he gets a truck to test fit stuff on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that is def not the flat plate version! What did that cost if you don’t mind me asking? What kind of lift do you run?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The flat plate arms are more what he does for lowered trucks. It is basically z71 height with maybe 1/2" extra crank. 23.5 center of hub to bottom of fender. I am looking for more droop not more lift. The only way to lift more correctly is to do the spindle/sub frame kit.

They were $900 last year but like everything I am sure they have gone up. The downside is expect to wait 6 weeks at least because it is a custom build. It may be faster to go with your local guy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So did you buy a 2nd set in case of an accident? I would hate to have to wait an additional 6 weeks to get a new one. I love your brakes. I didn’t realize wilwood made a kit for our trucks. What size rims do you need to run for those? If I could get those I would not need to switch to H3 suspension.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought about the H3 swap. I don't really want the wider track, it would pretty much mean going to the prerunner glass fenders to keep the tires under it.

The wheels are 8.5 x 17 with 4.75 backspace. I am looking at a set that are 8 wide with 4.88 backspace to maybe get them a little more under the fenders.

The stock arms will bolt back in if needed - I verified that by doing it.. MMW said the the spindle would need to be reamed larger for the uniball but it didn't. I also didn't have to cut the factory bump stops as some people indicated.

TCE in AZ does the Colorado kits. The website doesn't list the 12" rotor to fit the 17 inch wheels but if you call him he will make it. Super nice guy to work with. Wilwood is backed up so the is about a 3 week wait on them to get all the parts.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
I thought about the H3 swap. I don't really want the wider track, it would pretty much mean going to the prerunner glass fenders to keep the tires under it.

The wheels are 8.5 x 17 with 4.75 backspace. I am looking at a set that are 8 wide with 4.88 backspace to maybe get them a little more under the fenders.

The stock arms will bolt back in if needed - I verified that by doing it.. MMW said the the spindle would need to be reamed larger for the uniball but it didn't. I also didn't have to cut the factory bump stops as some people indicated.

TCE in AZ does the Colorado kits. The website doesn't list the 12" rotor to fit the 17 inch wheels but if you call him he will make it. Super nice guy to work with. Wilwood is backed up so the is about a 3 week wait on them to get all the parts.

Good looking truck. 👍🏻

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That is a very nice looking truck.
Richard let me know that with the MMW control arms you have a coil over should fit. He is going to send me some top mounts to see if they fit in our shock pocket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good looking truck.
Thanks. I got a ton of information from your posts for upgrading it. I just got the 6L80 swap settled. Billet rear axles with c clip eliminators and 241C transfer case and it will be done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts