Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
dont even consider it...get that dangerous thought out of your head now...bad.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
You should talk to ECSBCanyon, he is running E85 without a conversion kit, He just tuned his truck and is reporting no problems. Just the expected drop in fuel economy.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't worry Rune I'm not planning on running it in my truck. I just thought it was interesting. I don't understand how ECSBCanyon does it.... but he did trade in his truck. lol

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
yea...also notice the truck just got traded in... no way to see the long term effects...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Well you just have to make the proper tuning changes in the PCM. And larger injectors would be preferred.

I will mess with it some more with this truck. The '08s have a different ECM that may allow me to switch between normal and E85 without loading a new tune, which would be the ultimate.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Well you just have to make the proper tuning changes in the PCM. And larger injectors would be preferred.

I will mess with it some more with this truck. The '08s have a different ECM that may allow me to switch between normal and E85 without loading a new tune, which would be the ultimate.
I'd bet they probably are working to make all the platforms more compatible with E85 as they are developing more and more flex vehicles...

·
Registered
237 Posts

Could you post the '08 stock tune? I would like to see it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly all it comes down to is injectors and tune but its really not worth it unless u have a turbo or something and need 100 octane rating thats how honda kids roll!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
alright, took a look at the stock file. all the flex fuel options are in the ECM, none of them are filled in correctly though. But looking at a 5.3L flex file most, if not all of the options are the same so I can take most the settings from that file. The big question will remain, if I turn all this on, will the computer know there is E85 in the tank???? thats what I have to find out.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
How do E85 compatible vehicles determine what it's burning? Sensor in the tank, through the O2 sensor somehow? I've always kind of wondered but never bothered researching it.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
How do E85 compatible vehicles determine what it's burning? Sensor in the tank, through the O2 sensor somehow? I've always kind of wondered but never bothered researching it.
they used to have a fuel composition sensor, which is expensive as hell. But with the latest engines, they use feedback from standard sensors. Let me find the latest literature.

here
Hardware changes for flex-fuel operation are limited to the injectors. Because ethanol has fewer BTUs (less energy) than the same volume of gasoline, more fuel is required to produce the same horsepower at wide-open throttle. Flex fuel engines use unique Denso injectors with a greater cone angle and higher maximum fuel-flow rate. The fuel rail matches the injectors, but it’s manufactured of the same stainless steel used for all Vortec V8s.

The flex-fuel Vortec 5.3L doesn’t even require a special fuel sensor. The first flex-fuel engines used a light-reactive sensor to measure fuel composition from 100 percent gasoline to 85 percent ethanol. The Gen IV has a virtual sensor—software programmed in the E38 ECM with no separate physical sensor whatsoever. Based on readings from the oxygen (O²) sensors, fuel level sensor and vehicle speed sensors, the ECM adjusts the length of time the fuel injectors open for the type of fuel used. Within a fuel miles after filling up, the E38 controller determines what fuel is powering the Vortec 5.3L and manages the engine accordingly.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Interesting, I wonder how the VSS comes into play determining the fuel composition.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Nice typo - "within a fuel miles after filling up...."

Pretty cool idea using the existing sensor inputs.

·
NW Surfrider
5,364 Posts
what happens?????

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
??????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts