Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 crew is running great at 115k miles and I'm hopeful it will continue that way.

To justify any more mods though I have to consider the long-term plan.
I'm beginning to think I want to drive this thing way longer than makes good sense.

I don't own a home and have no place to do any real mechanical work at all.
If I wanted a fresh engine, what would labor cost to swap in a rebuilt I-5?
I have no clue how many hours are involved at all.

I would want an I-5...
I'm not thinking of an LS1 swap..

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
I think if you take care of it, it will last you way past 115000. I have no mechanical issues at 150000. As long as she is running good and you do the maintenance and take care of her she should get you at least 35000 to 50000 more. IMO!

·
Naiton Adovcate
850 Posts
There are a handful of guys that have over 300k miles on these trucks and one that had close to 400k a while back. Just keep taking care of it and it will take care of you.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,784 Posts
We have one guy with over 600k miles as well. However, his question was not how long do these motors last but if it were to blow how much is he looking at in labor to get it swapped...

On the note of answering your actual question, I have no idea lol.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have one guy with over 600k miles as well. However, his question was not how long do these motors last but if it were to blow how much is he looking at in labor to get it swapped...

On the note of answering your actual question, I have no idea lol.

Yeah, this...

I've taken good care of my engine, it doesn't use any oil and runs great.
I'm only trying to get an idea what it would cost if I wanted a fresh motor.

That is, if I get crazy and decide I just can't live without this truck and want to run it "forever", when/if I decided I wanted to invest in a new engine to freshen it up, how much labor would I be paying for to swap-in a rebuilt from Jasper, or etc.?

I'm only trying to gauge what the labor cost would be.
I don't have a place to work on it, and my truck is my DD, so I would be paying for the labor straight up.

I just want some reference to decide how far I may ride this thing..

I'm as crazy about my '05 crew today as when it was new, maybe more now that I have it dialed-in and modded to suit me.
Thing is, I'm thinking of getting a real paint job.
The guy I would have do it is not cheap.
If I'm gonna put that kinda $$$ into an 8-year-old truck, I gotta decide if I want to commit to driving it for the next 8-10 years or so. For that I need to decide how far I want to ride this truck. An engine replacement is the major factor in that decision.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dont know if yours is two or four wheel drive but just by the book your looking at 18.2 labor hours for 2wd and 22.1 labor hours for the 4x4. Thats not including swapping out any additional accessories and such. Most shops around here charge $65 to $105 a labor hour. Then you add in all your fluids and shop supplies and taxes and the cost of an engine. Could get pretty pricey.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you blew the motor up and wanted to replace it....why not just do an ls swap? :shrug:
Mainly because I would be dependent on a shop to do it.
Most straight mechanics aren't gonna be interested in a LS conversion.

I could do the wiring and plumbing on an LSx swap myself, no problem, but I don't have a place to do it.

Also, I do like the I-5.

Dont know if yours is two or four wheel drive but just by the book your looking at 18.2 labor hours for 2wd and 22.1 labor hours for the 4x4. Thats not including swapping out any additional accessories and such. Most shops around here charge $65 to $105 a labor hour. Then you add in all your fluids and shop supplies and taxes and the cost of an engine. Could get pretty pricey.
2WD.
Thanks for that, it's useful info as a ballpark to make some choices. :thumbup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
bump for a good question. i have 93k on mine just got it. If i dont make it to 200k il be thinking about putting in a new motor aswell

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a mechanic buddy who just installed a new motor into another buddys scion for $1300 I would not expect it would be much more than that! He still had to pay another 1200 for the motor and 150 for all the fluids.

·
Registered
280 Posts
ALLDATA shows :

22.2 man hours to remove and install a longblock including transferring all feul & electrical components ... so figure $2200.

ALLDATA shows the new engine cost to be $4333.33 from Chevy.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,474 Posts
I have a mechanic buddy who just installed a new motor into another buddys scion for $1300 I would not expect it would be much more than that! He still had to pay another 1200 for the motor and 150 for all the fluids.
That's your best answer right there.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Given that my truck is running great at 115k, it seems a little silly to be wondering about this, but I guess I'm looking for encouragement to keep this truck for the long-long term..

If I know what to expect should the time come that I need to swap-in a fresh engine, then I can plan accordingly.

I promised myself when I drove that thing home from the dealer in '05 that I'd drive it until about 100k and then say goodbye....

Felt so good driving home a fresh vehicle that I didn't want to ever keep one past it's prime again. That was then and this is now. If I could see something out there that would fit my needs and make me as happy as this truck then I could maybe consider something fresh in a year or two. For now I just don't see it.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems very easy to pick up these 3.5's with ~40-80k miles for less than a 1,000 bucks. Swapping a new one in also doesn't seem very difficult.
Good to know, but as I have no place to do anything of the sort I'd be 100% dependent on a shop. And if I'm gonna pop for 18 - 20 hours labor at shop rates then I'd buy a remanufactured fresh engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '05 crew is running great at 115k miles and I'm hopeful it will continue that way.

To justify any more mods though I have to consider the long-term plan.
I'm beginning to think I want to drive this thing way longer than makes good sense.

I don't own a home and have no place to do any real mechanical work at all.
If I wanted a fresh engine, what would labor cost to swap in a rebuilt I-5?
I have no clue how many hours are involved at all.

I would want an I-5...
I'm not thinking of an LS1 swap..

Anyone?

I got 10+ years out of my 2005 Rado and 293,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. I used the Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. Don't know if that's why really. But in the end the motor and transmission went out together. And I had a small crack in the frame, so that was that for that truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an 05 I-5 I bought at 112k miles and its now running up on 200k. Just got the 2 year inspection on her - just had to replace the original muffler that finally rotted through. Engine still going strong - Knock on Wood.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts