Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the upper mid-west, rocker panels in '04-'12 Colorado's seem to be really susceptible to rusting out. I cannot find metal nor plastic rocker panel covers available for the '04-'12 Colorados - no matter which cab style. So, I'm wondering if anyone has discovered such a covering from another vehicle that might be usable. Yesterday I was parked beside a relatively recent model Ford Escape. It had black plastic covers on the rocker panels - looked factory. Without benefit of measure nor full access to the Escape because it was not mine and locked, it looked like using those, presumably available through Ford parts, just might be doable. It would, of course, take some cutting and fitting

Anybody here taken that approach? How'd it work? What did you use?

I'm exploring having rust holes in the rocker panels metal fixed and them having the rocker panels covered with spray-on bed liner, like maybe Line-X, but it's already obvious that's going to be pricey? Any body gone that route?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in a very similar situation as you, rusted out rocker panels from the winters here. I just fixed my passenger side one, and am going to do the drivers side soon. I know you are asking about rocker panel covers, so maybe this would work for you. Mine is the GMC, but I think they are the same for Chevys. Check these out.

GMC Slip on Rocker Panel

So this is an oversized panel that goes OVER the original panel. What I did was remove the rust as much as I could in and around the old rockers, and used some rust encapsulator to slow any further rusting. Then I spot welded this new panel on over top, and sealed the edges with seam sealer. Finally I painted it with some rattle can touch up paint. It turned out looking pretty good. At least it will get me through a couple more winters here.

Now, I realize you may not have a welder, but I am told there are panel adhesives that body shops use that can stick these things on permanently. I don't have any experience with those, but some internet research might tell you more about that. And if you want that "plastic" look to them, maybe you could paint them with some rubberized coating or bedliner like you said?

·
Registered
48 Posts
3M 8115 Panel bond adhesive works great, I have done 20-30 rockers and it is the answer. Just clean both mating surfaces (rust or paint)and apply adhesive and clamp in place 24 hours later like a rock (I undercoat the new panel before replacement) just tape the bare metal areas off so the glue will adhere when applied. But make sure you pre fit them before you glue them, you want no surprises

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I ended up buying a pair of replacement rocker panels and had a local family-owned body shop take off the old rusted rockers, install (spot-weld in) the new ones and paint them. Granted, it cost a whole bunch more than $83, but I'm quite happy with the result. After installing the new ones they used plenty of something like undercoating inside the new rockers. body jelly I think it was called - or something like that. I haven't decided yet whither to leave the rubber plugs in the bottom of the rockers to keep road salt brine out, or to take the plugs out so the brine can drain out Your thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The problem with welding them is there is no corrosion protection like the adhesive creates between mating surfaces (seals out water and salt)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see that undercoating/body jelly stuff oozing out the joint and from round the spot welds where the new outer rocker panels are spot welded to the old inner one. i figure it will last about as long as I do. Maybe right, maybe wrong!

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I haven't decided yet whither to leave the rubber plugs in the bottom of the rockers to keep road salt brine out, or to take the plugs out so the brine can drain out Your thoughts?
Anyone else have thoughts on this. If removing them is there any tricks on how to remove the plugs without leaving damage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought replacement rocker panels off the internet, e-bay probably, and had Hon Auto Body in Waterloo put then on. Wasn't cheap but sure looks good. Yep, still in CF.

·
Lifetime Member
747 Posts
Were your panels like the center pillar ones that replace the door sill as well as the rocker or the one that just replaces the rocker panel itself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Were your panels like the center pillar ones that replace the door sill as well as the rocker or the one that just replaces the rocker panel itself.
The type that replaced the door sill too. I'm going from memory but think they were around $200 each, then again as I recall, Hon was about $1500 to R&R the pair, painting included. They said they rustproofed the be-jeepers out of the interior of them. Of course the inside vertical "wall" of the rocker panels is integral with the body and replacing that would be "impossible". It was pretty rusty too, but solid.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had a 74 ford truck that was rusted like that. I bought some spray expanding foam medium expanding filled it up sanded little bit on bondo sanded more, color match paint you could never tell it was repaired. Prep is the key

·
Lifetime Member
747 Posts
The type that replaced the door sill too. I'm going from memory but think they were around $200 each, then again as I recall, Hon was about $1500 to R&R the pair, painting included. They said they rustproofed the be-jeepers out of the interior of them. Of course the inside vertical "wall" of the rocker panels is integral with the body and replacing that would be "impossible". It was pretty rusty too, but solid.
Thanks a lot for the information. Looks like a good July project:)

·
Lifetime Member
747 Posts
I had a 74 ford truck that was rusted like that. I bought some spray expanding foam medium expanding filled it up sanded little bit on bondo sanded more, color match paint you could never tell it was repaired. Prep is the key
I did something similar on my old S-10 a few years back. That did look pretty good afterword
I think I'll go for something a little more conventional this time. Thanks for the input!
IMG_3977.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts