Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past week I discovered that my rear frame has cracked in 2 on both sides about 6.5" from the leaf springs on the GM weld. I was replacing shocks and ball joints when I noticed it

Who else has had this happen to them? The body shop guys around here have all said they have seen this on a number of 1st gen trucks

·
Registered
421 Posts
WOW, that SUCKS . Sorry that happened . I know I worry about the same thing happening to my frame as it has a lot of rust . When I'm at the PullAPart yard I've seen more than a few Colorado's and Canyon's with frame cracks . It's not that uncommon sad to say .

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry to see such corrosion damage, looks like you will need a completely new frame, I recently helped a buddy replace his frame, he had to search several salvage yards down in the sun belt to locate a front half and a rear half to weld together for a complete frame.

I have seen the same amount of corrosion on several trucks in my area, here in NY it is so bad 3 year old cars have prodigious amounts of corrosion already. It is predominantly from the use of road brine(brine that was previously used for fraking) and to a smaller extent the ordinary road salt. The brine evaporates leaving salt dust embedded within the frame and every time you drive in the rain during the spring summer and fall the salt is reactivated.

You need to power wash the entire underside with a salt neutralizing agent several times during the winter and a good heavy spray down in the spring after the last snow storm, and this has to be done from day 1 of ownership, to expect any life out of a vehicle in the great salty north!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have 2 in my driveway right now with rotted frames. I search the ads daily on the various online sites and it's a shame to see many very nice trucks being parted out because of this. TalonXracer is spot on - it's a combination of living in the Northeast and the amount of brine these townships apply every winter

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can I ask what you mean by "the GM weld"? Is that a specific kind of weld?
" The GM weld " is a negative reference to General Motors quality as it applies to the integrity of this weld and the general design of the frame in this area .

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
What would this welded to my frame in the same area be called? A fix? Both sides have this.
20200811_155624.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts