Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So anyone done it, what have you noticed? how many turns did you give the bolt? Any problems? Complications? or even questions.

I got Maverick to crank mine this past weekend, leveled my truck out and is now sitting flat and will be aligned this weekend, it pulls to the right a little. Looks and drives great though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i cranked mine 5 times, but the thing is i also put 2 1/2 inch shackles on the back so it rose the front and the back the same so when i went to check the alignment it was DEAD on. other than that no real problems, slight rub from my big tires on a bar but nothing nasty and i don't think you'll have those problems with the generals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
if you loosen them will it lower the truck? i know its possible on the older mazda pickups, at least 4 inches in front...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I think you can, but not a lot. I think there's a company that makes different keys so you can drop it a little more without leaving too much of the bolt unthreaded. I don't think you can get more than a couple inches though. I'm sure someone around here would know more about it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i got a good 2 1/2 inches outa 5 cranks with mine, and im sure it works in reverse as well. that will mess up your alignment a lot too if the back isnt lowered also.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got a good 2 1/2 inches outa 5 cranks with mine, and im sure it works in reverse as well. that will mess up your alignment a lot too if the back isnt lowered also.
yeah, i lifted my front by like 2 inches, and now sittin flat. :bang:

·
Registered
307 Posts
old thread but anybody crank them 3 or 2.5 inches and how is the front end

·
Registered
307 Posts
so you have any front end problems or is everthing okay

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Old style thread guys, there is lots of disscussion here and on CFans as well if you want to read a little more. My truck has been cranked nearly 4 years with 87000 KMS.
I dropped my diff 3/4 inch with spacers I built. No issues ever.
Currently I as well as other am fine tuning ride with a BJ flip and working on a tie rod flip. Not that the truck rode like crap. But to make it handle as well or near to a stock truck and be lifted.

·
Registered
307 Posts
urrently I as well as other am fine tuning ride with a BJ flip and working on a tie rod flip. Not that the truck rode like crap. But to make it handle as well or near to a stock truck and be lifted.

dont understand this part

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
When you lift your torsion bars, part of the reason, other than the increased down force on the lower control arm causing a firmer ride, you lose down travel. Basically your upper control arm bottoms out on the suspension stop much earlier in its travel when the wheel goes into a hole. Also your tie rod angles are a little higher so there is a degree of bump steer induced. Think of bump steer this way. Driving an ATV or bicycle your arms being tie rods lets say. You are standing up driving, in really rough and bouncy terrain. It is easier to sit and drive with your arms parallel. There is far less leverage on your arms pushing you around at the decreased angle when you are sitting. The increased tie rod angle with the tire pushing against it has basically turned it into a lever increasing the leverage and thus force transmitted through the steering wheel to you.
Hence the flatter they are the better.

·
Registered
307 Posts
so what did you do for that

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I as well as other lived with it, it is not a bad ride or bad steering. Just a little firmer and a wee bit less precise steering. That is at 2 to 2.5 inches any higher and the problems become greater.

·
Registered
307 Posts
2.5 sounds right you crank them your self

·
Registered
307 Posts
sounds good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts