Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Colorado l4,

Well, went through everything already, replaced the fuel pump and my FSCM. As these were what my diagnosis gave me. I had no communication with the FSCM. Spent a week tinkering with it to no solution. Then figured out the FSCM needed to be reprogrammed. So its at the dealer and there was a break in the signal wire to the FSCM. Fixed but still no starting, all communication is good. The dealer wants to diagnose it but I’d rather see if it’s something i can tackle and save a few bucks. Its only had 3.5 hours of work at the dealer and I’m at $500 already and would like to fix this without paying the dealer stupid amounts of money to tell me it’s something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
2010 Colorado l4,

Well, went through everything already, replaced the fuel pump and my FSCM. As these were what my diagnosis gave me. I had no communication with the FSCM. Spent a week tinkering with it to no solution. Then figured out the FSCM needed to be reprogrammed. So its at the dealer and there was a break in the signal wire to the FSCM. Fixed but still no starting, all communication is good. The dealer wants to diagnose it but I’d rather see if it’s something i can tackle and save a few bucks. Its only had 3.5 hours of work at the dealer and I’m at $500 already and would like to fix this without paying the dealer stupid amounts of money to tell me it’s something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the Nation.

To operate, an engine needs fuel, air, and ignition. Do you have the tools necessary to check the functions of those systems? Do you have a scan tool with bi-directional controls? If all communication is good, does that mean a scan shows no DTCs set for any module?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Nation.

To operate, an engine needs fuel, air, and ignition. Do you have the tools necessary to check the functions of those systems? Do you have a scan tool with bi-directional controls? If all communication is good, does that mean a scan shows no DTCs set for any module?
I have the tools to check those systems, minus the scan tool(which a friend is helping me out with tomorrow). I had checked Everything and gone through the forums here to find the steps necessary for the diagnosis. I started from the fuel pump to the battery and back. It all led me to the FSCM being the only thing not working(i replaced the fuel pump because i thought i knew better, but i was just jumping to an easy solution). At the time I had power at the module But no communication with FSCM. I racked my brain and could not figure out what was going on. Gave up and took it in to the dealer they informed me it was low voltage to the module and repaired the wire in the harness above the gas tank which i had missed, and reprogrammed the module. Still no luck and in these forsaken covid times i can not afford to have the dealer look at it anymore. I’m not trying to knock the dealer or the techs all great at what they do, I’ve just always been one to do it myself or learn to do it myself. This one is a head scratcher for me, I’ll be towing it home tomorrow to see what i can figure out or wait until I can afford to take it back in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
I have the tools to check those systems, minus the scan tool(which a friend is helping me out with tomorrow). I had checked Everything and gone through the forums here to find the steps necessary for the diagnosis. I started from the fuel pump to the battery and back. It all led me to the FSCM being the only thing not working(i replaced the fuel pump because i thought i knew better, but i was just jumping to an easy solution). At the time I had power at the module But no communication with FSCM. I racked my brain and could not figure out what was going on. Gave up and took it in to the dealer they informed me it was low voltage to the module and repaired the wire in the harness above the gas tank which i had missed, and reprogrammed the module. Still no luck and in these forsaken covid times i can not afford to have the dealer look at it anymore. I’m not trying to knock the dealer or the techs all great at what they do, I’ve just always been one to do it myself or learn to do it myself. This one is a head scratcher for me, I’ll be towing it home tomorrow to see what i can figure out or wait until I can afford to take it back in a few weeks.
Yeah, I don't think $500 is too outrageous for 3.5 hours, including repair. As you mentioned, that doesn't mean that it is not expensive.

Don't rule out a possible PassLock issue. That would cause a crank no start situation.

Try spraying some starter fluid into the intake while cranking the engine and see if anything changes. If it attempts to start, that would indicate a possible fuel delivery issue. Available fuel pressure does not necessarily indicate fuel in the cylinder.

Keep us posted on your progress. If you can, get a full scan of all modules in the truck. Even if it doesn't turn up anything it will be helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I don't think $500 is too outrageous for 3.5 hours, including repair. As you mentioned, that doesn't mean that it is not expensive.

Don't rule out a possible PassLock issue. That would cause a crank no start situation.

Try spraying some starter fluid into the intake while cranking the engine and see if anything changes. If it attempts to start, that would indicate a possible fuel delivery issue. Available fuel pressure does not necessarily indicate fuel in the cylinder.

Keep us posted on your progress. If you can, get a full scan of all modules in the truck. Even if it doesn't turn up anything it will be helpful.
[/QUOT
Will do

·
Registered
92 Posts
Let us know what codes pop up on your friends scan tool. Do you have CE light on right now?
Basic quick test, are you getting spark through your coils to the plugs? You've checked your ignition switch, and you know your injectors are spraying gas?
Those are easy basic test to see if gas, air, and electrical power may be at fault while waiting for a scan tool.
Let us know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts