Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I sure wish we had more categories for threads.
Anyway, my cruise control works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't with no real logical reason for it. It will work one day, and not the next, when I've done nothing to the truck except drive it. I can't narrow it down to outside temperatures, rain, dry, no real explanation for it sometimes not working .
Any ideas would be great and appreciated. Don't know what else to add. I get up to highway speed, turn it on, hit the set button on the end of the blinker arm and just see what happens. It's a crap shoot!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
The only time I had a cruise control
Issue. The brake light switch was acting up. Have you checked that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
386 Posts
Definitely sounds like brake switch is going flaky. Check your brake lights as well when it acts up as they likely won't work either.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you have a manual transmission, I believe the clutch safety switch can cause this problem as well.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an automatic.
Difficult to check your own brake lights at highway speed! It would be a lot easier if my cruise control was working though!! Probable do need to check my brake light switch though. A couple of times lately, I've felt like I was dragging an anchor behind me and I realized my brake pedal was sticking and not coming up all the way sometimes after I stopped.
May be just what I need.
Thanks guys, and sorry for my sarcasm! You're not surprised that my wife calls me smart ass much more often than she calls me honey, or darling, or even by my actual name!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so I purchased a brake light switch and when I went to install it, I found out that there are two very similar switches beside each other. One is the brake light switch and the other is the cruise control switch. No problem finding the brake light switch, but nobody stocks the cruise control switch. Guess I'll be searching the internet. The part has a part number on the side, so that should help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just fyi and it's probably unlikely since your problem is intermittent, low brake fluid can cause this as well. Learned that from my own issues years ago in addition to the brake light switch going out every few years. Now I keep spares.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll check brake fluid. Also, on my '04, it has what appears to be two brake light switches. One is for brake lights and the other is right beside it and it's for cruise control. Separate switches. It's a little tricky to get them both adjusted exactly alike, or the brake pedal will hit one, but not the other.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good to know about the cruise control switch, thx for sharing.

I took a few photos, yanked one out that looked most like the new and hoped for the best seating it in there. Probably less than 5 minutes. Dealership did it for me a second time outside of warranty for $125. Took 5-6 hours. Never again. You're right, it can be an odd fit. It's times like this, being a smaller person comes in handy.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'm 6'2" and not as limber as I used to be! Yeah, it should be a no-brainer, but I swapped it out in the dark and haven't gone back to look at it closely. I just need to make sure that both the brake light switch and the cruise control switch have the little buttons pressed in all the way when the brake is at the top. I hope that's all that's preventing my cruise control from working because the next thing to replace would be the blinker switch or "Multi-function stalk"! I haven't checked yet, but with a fancy name like that, it's got to be expensive, right?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I've got the brake light switch and the cruise control switch both aligned perfectly. Still no cruise control. Fuse is good. Guess it's in the actual switch on the blinker arm. Has anyone ever taken one of these apart and repaired it? I can't find any videos on how to dig into the tip where the push button is.
Any help would be appreciated. The part is close to $200, and requires taking the steering wheel off. Doesn't seem like much fun to me.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have any codes at all on my truck. No lights on on the dash. Is this something that my Scangauge II would show? I noticed yesterday that when I turn my key to the "on" position that the little light for cruise control comes on and stays on for a second like the check engine and other lights, so that indicated to me that it's getting power to that system. I think the button on the end of the stalk is just not working. I think the first thing to do is to get some contact cleaner and try to somehow spray it into the small spaces around the button at the end and see if that accomplishes anything. Most of my driving is around town, but I've recently taken on a project of flipping a house that has me on the interstate for about 20 minutes and it's frustrating to me when I have an opportunity to use it and it doesn't work.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Maybe try a scanner with enhanced Chevy codes. Had an incident once where scan gauge 2 didn’t show anything. But my other handheld did when I checked for gmc enhanced codes on my canyon.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine showed stop light switch. But you’ve tried that. Wouldn’t hurt to see if anything shows

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, on my '04 there are two "brake light" looking switches mounted side by side. One's for the brake lights and one is for the cruise control. They look the same, but the plugs are different. Nobody stocked the cruise control switch, so I had to order that one. They're pretty simple switches and both tested good, but I replaced them both anyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts