Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen this on here, nor could I find anything...

As I am driving down the road I can hit my cruise with nothing happening as if the switch or brake lights were causing an issue...

Then I tap my turn signal to get it to light up.

I hit my cruise and it works.

I hit my brakes to turn it off, it turns off...

Try to hit the cruise and nothing, then hit the turn signal, hit the cruise, it works, etc...

Could this possibly be the tail lights (Eagle Eye) that I installed? I don't have the hyper flash or anything... Could this actually be the switch? I am not sure if it was ever replaced on these trucks, or the truck is old... :shrug:

I just find it odd that I can hit the turn signal then it works...

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I think I am going to try and swap out the brake switch.

Reason I say this, if the turn signal is on longer than the brakes, the cruise works. If the brakes are the last thing I touch before hitting the cruise, it doesn't work. If I turn the cruise off with the switch, I can turn it back on and it still works...

Seems as though something is going wonky with the brake switch. :shrug:

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Mine does the same thing once in a while and I've already changed the brake switch once. I don't use the cruise control often because my commute to work is only 20 mins and don't really need it so I never looked into. I figured it's got to be something in the switch it's self or the column. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have 35, 45 and 55mph speed zones on my way to work and they patrol pretty heavy on it, so I use the cruise since I am not much of a morning person.

I'm just glad that I figured out that the thing works just fine unless I touch the brakes, then it doesn't want to come back on. I think the sensor is sticking just enough to make the truck think the brakes are on (when they aren't) but who knows...

·
How d'ya like them apples
941 Posts
I remember someone saying something about their 3rd brake light being LED, not sure if yours is but just thought I would throw it out there

·
Registered
6 Posts
I received a recall notice for my truck saying the cruise control brake switch sensor needed to be replaced. Let me see if I can find the email from the dealer after I had it done.

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I know there's a recall for them. Not sure if it was done on this truck or not. I'll figure it out eventually. Got some bigger fish to fry right now. I'll get it into the dealership once I'm finished with the body and interior work I have going on.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
I have the same exact issue with mine Boyd ever since I've owned the truck. I've changed my switch and it still happens. Figured it was in the multi switch assembly. I haven't dove into changing it yet. Keep me updated so I can try whatever you do to fix it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine started doing this over the weekend. Glad I read this post before that, but if I press in the cruise button and then start to motion the turn signal up then it kicks on. Figured I had nothing to lose so the next time I parked I just moved the multi-function switch in a circle a few times and when I left, the cruise worked as normal, so guessing my is in the switch for sure since it is now working as it did in the past.

·
truck built on Saturday..
5,082 Posts
My cruise control worked fine until I installed the eagle eye lights.
Haven't bothered messing with it Cus I've been working on my wife's car.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The LED tail lights may make the BCM think that there's tail light bulb out which will disable cruise control. Intermittent electrical gremlins are a bitch to troubleshoot. It would be easier to diagnose if the cruise didn't work at all.
That's the problem I had. I've since removed the LEDS and everything has worked fine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts