Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m on my second I5 Colorado. once in long while I get to ride in a 150 ford or half ton chevy. they ride smooth and sound real nice even in stock form. does the v8 colly/canyon ride and drive and sound different(in the cabin) than the I5? does it sound/drive like a larger truck? never been in a v8 colly/canyon.
thanks for any feed back.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I wouldn't say so. I've driven a 4cy, 4wd, ex cab and a similar truck with the 5.3, and the only real difference was when you mashed the go-go pedal. Which was to be expected.

With these trucks being as small as they are compared to a full size truck, regardless of what motor a Colorado has, it's just not going to soak up the road like a full size.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Huge difference than my last i4. The throttle seems a little more jumpy than my gmc seria work work and a Yukon I've rented. The gas pedal has less movement than a full size truck so i have to lightly tap it. If it's floored from a dead stop, the 355 has less get up than a full size with the stock tune. The biggest difference is the 4 speed compared to the six speed.

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
486 Posts
It depends. I had an i5 before I got the V8. The 5.3 is a bit more of a handful on wet pavement, the traction control goes off super easy. It also sounds 'throatier' under throttle, and less buzzy. As for how it drives, I can't really say, because I went from a 2WD to a 4WD. I'd say it has 'heavier' steering, but really, that's probably the front axle.

V8 is lots of fun.

Getting it tuned will really wake it up. GM neutered the torque in the PCM to make the transmission shift softer and 'prolong transmission life'.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think the ride has a lot to do with the suspension and tires. i like the ZQ8
package, the extended cab rides better. but better tires make it ride even better.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Out of the gate, I would assume no real difference in sound and ride? The ZQ8 would be a little rougher again an assumption having never been in the i5 or i4 models or even any 4wd.

I found my V8 ZQ8 rode much better with about 300lbs in the bed (winter weight). Keeps the rear from floating. And it helps to add some sound deadening to the floor and back wall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2010 Colorado V8 4x4. It's more like a muscle car than a pickup. The low end torque that my truck has from a stop is amazing. Lots of giddy up when you drop a V8 in a small truck, believe me---I could roast the rear tires down to the rims anytime I wanted to.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Ive had all three engines.

The v8 sounds and feels a ton different. Rides about the same tho.

You need to just drive one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an 08 quad cab 4wd i5 and a 12 quad cab 4wd v8. The i5 feels quicker and much lighter in normal driving. The v8 is much quieter and feels its oats when passing, towing, or going up steep hills. For most people, the i5 would be perfectly sufficient. But I was replacing a Canyon and a 3/4 ton Cummins with a single snaller truck. So the V8 seemed the logical choice. Also tried a V8 Tundra. Loved the interior, but not the truck... They made it too big. Liked the old style better.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Started with a 2004 Brandey new.It had the 5 banger Z71 4x4.Never really pushed it.Mostly h/way.I did tow my harley around on the east coast.Ma.to SC to VA then NJ.
Were ever work took me.No problems till around 125k miles.Everything went in short period of time.1st.brakes,Cyl.head,then tranny.Dumped it cheap.What was left...Always said...imagine a V8 in this...ohh boy.
2011 ordered one.V8,Z71,4wd. With 4:11 gears.Ext. Cab.First,change exhaust.Gotta hear it.I ain't getting rid of this PERFECT truck.It goes,it Tows.Handles dame good for 4 whl.It's stock except. exhaust and intake.It's not fancy interior wise,it's not a caddy but a DD.
What was the question? Get one if you can.Gm really fucked up not advertising.Thanks for that my gain.2004 is pictured

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Started with a 2004 Brandey new.It had the 5 banger Z71 4x4.Never really pushed it.Mostly h/way.I did tow my harley around on the east coast.Ma.to SC to VA then NJ.
Were ever work took me.No problems till around 125k miles.Everything went in short period of time.1st.brakes,Cyl.head,then tranny.Dumped it cheap.What was left...Always said...imagine a V8 in this...ohh boy.
2011 ordered one.V8,Z71,4wd. With 4:11 gears.Ext. Cab.First,change exhaust.Gotta hear it.I ain't getting rid of this PERFECT truck.It goes,it Tows.Handles dame good for 4 whl.It's stock except. exhaust and intake.It's not fancy interior wise,it's not a caddy but a DD.
What was the question? Get one if you can.Gm really fucked up not advertising.Thanks for that my gain.2004 is pictured
Nice truck.
For me, I like having the V8 when I tow the 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, etc. I feel as though the I5 would be underpowered, especially on hills. I towed a 4000 lb U-Haul with it last fall and it never worked up a sweat. That kind of weight would already be over the I5's limit. If I didn't tow with it, the I5 would probably be more than enough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All I know is I get dirty looks from full size Chevy's and Rams with their almighty Hemi's. Not sure why but I guess cause they can't leave me in their dust. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts