Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in what is turning out to be a more common occurance than I would like, i had free time on my hands. Bad news for the Rado. I had some time the other night and dumped seafoam, and cleaned the throttle body...well I decided to remove the resonator box and start building my custom intake. I measures out the intake and found that it varied between 2.5 inches all the way up to 4. So i decided that im gonna go with a 4" intake the whole way. I got the first section done, but im currently evaluating my options for the MAF sensor...not sure how im gonna deal with that. So far ive taken her out for about 30 miles and damn does she get a hell of a lot faster quicker. I only stopped after seeing to many cops in places i had been minutes before. Attached are some pics of what I have done so far. The only issue I have encounted is if you look at the 3rd picture, I have a slight rub with the 2nd spark plug locking piece..not sure if it will be an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cool man. If you can get those bellows out and put a solid piece in, it might even go "fasterquicker."

:kiki:

cereally though, good job. :)

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know....Its only a temp thing. Once I get the piece for the maf sensor I will finish building it out solid. The stupid maf is the bottle neck...freaking 2.5 inches...aargh. But yeah, i like the lowend power better now..hence the faster quicker comment :lmao: i dont have a sport truck like the rest of ya!!!

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Schucks...its the spectre brand stuff..its all aluminum.. the question i have for any of our tech guys...Am I doing this the right size..based on my parts i have a 3" option or the 4" option..I assumed that i would want it at leat the sixze of the TB. Also does the MAF sensor need to be in the same diameter tube as it currently is? Wasnt sure how they are calibrated and dont want to fuck anything up...its looking like that may have to go in a 3" section...

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i quickly found out that that 3" stuff doesnt work.Well it would but you have to reduce the intak on the thrttle body from 3.5 to 3...i didnt think that was a good plan.hence the larger...would have been cheaper and easier though.. Some stores carry the aluminum though and it is in the 4" size which will work....by the time im done it will probably have cost me about 100$...

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Also does the MAF sensor need to be in the same diameter tube as it currently is? Wasnt sure how they are calibrated and dont want to fuck anything up...its looking like that may have to go in a 3" section...
Yes, it needs to be reduced for the MAF sensor. Even the after market intakes replicate the bottle neck.

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks...that solves my issue real fast, im assuming a little larger wont affect to much..spectre has a 3inch piece that will accept the sensor, so i guess its safe to go with that... either that or a hack job on the airbox...or even leave the air box as it is...hmm..opens up a new round of designing...

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
I doubt you can do much larger without running into MAF performance issues. EX: it not being able to meter air moving across it accurately, thus setting a CEL.

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that something that can be set in HP tuners?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah, HPTuners can fix that. Just a little driving around to get the numbers and then a flash of the comp. Have you been tuned yet rune? If not, we should talk. We could take care of a lot of stuff and take care of the MAF.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Hmmmm indeed. I like tunes. I also like intakes. This pleases me.

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol...nah i havent had the pleasure of being tuned yet...it is on the short list of things to do to the truck...just cant stand the damn mileage anymore so thats why im doing all of this stuff now...once i get the rest of the intake designed like i want i will get a tune done....stock through maf i believe is 2.5..im going with a 3 inch tube now that i know it can be tuned.. and the rest will be 4". i figure that will be good..

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Have you enjoyed punchin it and hearing the loud screams of your vortec motor!?

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its actually not that loud....suprisingly....but damn does she have a kick now...

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hahaha...i let you see tommorow :lmao: .....just give me a buzz when you ready...i have a feeling im sleeping in....

·
Registered
466 Posts
custom stuff is the best stuff!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts