Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, well thanks to a couple members on here I got the intake done this weekend...want to give thanks to brewer for hooking me up with Hybridynamics.com (denis) and want to thank JUSTIN for pics of his set up...:355group: thanks guys!

Okay so the main reason for me doing this intake is because I wanted to do it on a budget/ start off my performance mods...

Resources used for parts:
Home Depot
Hybridynamics.com
Local piping shop

Parts from resources:

Home Depot-3" rubber plumbing couplers/ 3/8 air fitting for valve cover breather
Hybridynamics.com- BPi Velocity stack & KN RF-1048 air filter
Local pipe shop-45 degree 3" electrical conduit PVC

Time for total install 45 minutes.

I utilized the stock air box to maintain a location for the MAF sensor. The install went really quick, the time consuming part was waiting for the spray paint to dry...

I didnt take any pics during the install because there wasnt to much stuff going on....very very simple!

Here she is.

Okay dont flame me for the Air breather hose...I didnt have enough of the one hose yesterday, so I have to go out today and get the right stuff...:dawg:
Im also pulling everything back off and resanding the PVC so its as smooth as glass. Im also going to be replacing the two couplers on the PVC with something a little more stylish( I just wanted to get it together this weekend until I found a better coupler)

After install I took it out for a test drive and didnt lay into it to hard, came home and checked all fittings and such...After that I took it out and really laid into it. There is def an increase in HP from the butt dyno, the only thing Im not to pleased about is the NOISE LEVEL! THIS THING IS LOUD, when you lay into it really hard. At cruising speeds it sounds stock and you cant notice the intake at all.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
whatd id you expect for noise? You removed the resonator which quiets down the intake drastically. Just think if you hadnt used your stock intake box itd be even louder

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whatd id you expect for noise? You removed the resonator which quiets down the intake drastically. Just think if you hadnt used your stock intake box itd be even louder
Yea, I expected it to be loud but I didnt think It was going to be this loud...its not a complaint I was just noting it so people knew how loud it was....

Thanks for the compliments guys

·
Registered
893 Posts
lookin good!!

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Isn't there 2 tubes that go into the res. that would need to go in the replacement? One from the back (which he has) and one from the front? Also was it schedule 20, 40, or 80 PVC? Did you use High Temp Paint?(<--Dumb ? I know but I had to ask)

This mod is new to me so I really don't know know a whole lot about it. But I want to do it.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe it was a schudule 40...I can find out for you if youd like. Also I was wondering about the two tubes as well. I think only the 2004-05's had the two tubes. I had only one going into the back of the resonator. The paint was just a normal black spray paint. I am going to re-spray the pain after I sand the pipe down and make it look better. I just didnt want it to look like a piece of PVC for the time being

·
Registered
836 Posts
how much did you pay for your 45 degree bend i got quoted 54 bucks for 45 degree bend of EMT!

·
Registered
836 Posts
dang! would home depot carry it? nobody around me carries it ive called around to a whole bunch of specialty shops... help ha

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to home depot around me and the only thing they carried was the 2.5 inch...I went to a place about a mile from my house called "pipe line plastics" they do BIG orders and such but they sell to the "normal guy" every once and a while.....they had about a million of them... I mean shit if worst comes to worst I can ship you one...but hold on a sec....

P

·
0 Posts
yes, home depot carries this stuff. it is in the "electrical isle" there is very minimal supply. should be right next to the Long Metal EMT pipes or whatever. They only had one of the 45 degree when i went, i will take pics in just a few minutes and post em, i just did mine this past weekend. The tube costs somewhere around 7-10 bucks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
hey PRC did you use a velocity stack? do you have to use a velocity stack? because those are a lil pricey!

P

·
0 Posts
Here ya go: Painted the intake gun-metal, didint want it to stand out too much but i wanted it to be visible. I like it. Had to put the lid on the box, the 3.7L roars at WOT. :noes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm doing something very much like this!!! Just need to paint it. Hump couplers arrived today to help with some of the vibration. You should be able to find the pipe you need in the electrical section; plastic conduit 3". I just bought the 90 bend, which is longer and only $.20 more.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
I believe it was a schudule 40...I can find out for you if youd like. Also I was wondering about the two tubes as well. I think only the 2004-05's had the two tubes. I had only one going into the back of the resonator. The paint was just a normal black spray paint. I am going to re-spray the pain after I sand the pipe down and make it look better. I just didnt want it to look like a piece of PVC for the time being
Than would make sense since i have an 05. i figured it was 40 cuz 20 is too thin and 80 is very thick. Man i can't wait to get this on my rig!

I think I'm falling in love with the nation SALUTE!!! :salute:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts