Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just thought I'd share my latest work this past weekend to my Canyon.

For a while I've been trying to figure out how to get a winch mounted on the front of my truck, it seemed like the only option was to do a forward receiver winch mount, which was an OK solution, but I wanted something that didn't stick out so much. I stumbled across ps3tv's mount and I decided he had the right idea, so I decided to fabricate it this past weekend. Here are just a few shots of the process

mocking up the placement. I cut out the center of the underside of the bumper, so the winch actually recesses into the bumper a few inches. There is still plenty of room to work the clutch though.

Pieces cut and drilled, 7/16" x 6" cold roll 1018. Thank god for a drill press.

tac welded

Sorry, I only have a few lame photos of the final product so far. The winch is not yet wired up, as I ran out of time this past weekend and needed my truck to get to and from work. I also still need to torque the t-bars a little more to account for the new weight.

I decided against engineering the mount, and just quickly designed it. Sadly, I am well aware the weak link on this mount is going to be my welds (if any), so calculating the moment and lb-f the mount will experience seemed like wasted effort.

Overall though I am pretty satisfied with how it came out. I want to get a slotted fairlead for it though, not a roller. The roller is sticking out like a freaking weapon.

And for those who havent seen ps3tv's mount
http://www.355nation.net/forum/stre...008-gmc-canyon-z71-upgrades-3.html#post684988

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
looks nice, much stronger looking than the other guy's mount.
one thing i'd do is add a piece that ties the vertical mount to the horizonal part across the front. it may be over kill, but a little added stiffness/support wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks nice, much stronger looking than the other guy's mount.
one thing i'd do is add a piece that ties the vertical mount to the horizonal part across the front. it may be over kill, but a little added stiffness/support wouldn't hurt.
Yeah, I thought about that too. The fairlead mount (the vertical piece) is made up of 3/16"x2" angle iron, which I thought would be decent enough. It wraps under the winch mount and is welded all the way across the bottom. However, the main winch mount is only as deep as the winch is, so the winch butts right up against the fairlead. I don't have any room to add a support :(

·
Hybrid
5,842 Posts
Looks Great!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
509 Posts
old tread return! but who have possibility to made a rack like this one for our truck? its look good Under the front

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I'd share my latest work this past weekend to my Canyon.

For a while I've been trying to figure out how to get a winch mounted on the front of my truck, it seemed like the only option was to do a forward receiver winch mount, which was an OK solution, but I wanted something that didn't stick out so much. I stumbled across ps3tv's mount and I decided he had the right idea, so I decided to fabricate it this past weekend. Here are just a few shots of the process

mocking up the placement. I cut out the center of the underside of the bumper, so the winch actually recesses into the bumper a few inches. There is still plenty of room to work the clutch though.

Pieces cut and drilled, 7/16" x 6" cold roll 1018. Thank god for a drill press.

tac welded

Sorry, I only have a few lame photos of the final product so far. The winch is not yet wired up, as I ran out of time this past weekend and needed my truck to get to and from work. I also still need to torque the t-bars a little more to account for the new weight.

I decided against engineering the mount, and just quickly designed it. Sadly, I am well aware the weak link on this mount is going to be my welds (if any), so calculating the moment and lb-f the mount will experience seemed like wasted effort.

Overall though I am pretty satisfied with how it came out. I want to get a slotted fairlead for it though, not a roller. The roller is sticking out like a freaking weapon.

And for those who havent seen ps3tv's mount
2008 GMC Canyon Z71 Upgrades
Looking for advice on a 2010 application hopefully someone here knows the guy that made the hidden winch bumper mount if so need a name or number mine is 8435430630

·
Registered
2007 Colorado LT Z85 3.7, 4" Rancho lift, Pro-Comp struts, Airlift rear bags
16 Posts
Looking for advice on a 2010 application hopefully someone here knows the guy that made the hidden winch bumper mount if so need a name or number mine is 8435430630
Did you ever find the guy?

Im making mine over spare time the next few weeks, I bought a universal mount that I will cut/weld/modify as needed to fit. I am planning to push mine a little further back than this one and my license plate will go over it when it is not in use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts