Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time rto replace my cv axles and i was wondering if anyone that has done it before could give me a list of tools and material(ie grease, diff fluid) ill need for the install. Tips and tricks would be nice aswell since this is my first one.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
Don't need any diff fluid as none should leak out, just a tube of axle grease for the splines and use OEM cv axles. Set of metric sockets/wrenches and you will need a 36mm (I think) socket and 1/2 drive breaker bar for the axle nut. Some zip ties will come in handy

Its really easy. Remove wheel, remove brake caliper, remove axle nut, remove spindle from upper and lower ball joint. Pop out the axle with a pry bar... might be a good time to replace the axle seals since you have them out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome man thanks for speedy reply...if i can get my hands on the seal locally ill do that to..forgot to order with axle

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
No problem man. Its best to break loose and remove the axle nut while the spindle is still attached to the control arms. You will need to remove the tie rod from the spindle as well. Forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok sounds good, will i need to replace axle/hub nut?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok ill see when i get the part like i said im a virgin so u gorta be gentle

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
Yes axle nuts should come with new axles. When re installing be careful not to over tighten the axle nut. I can't remember what to torque them to... hopefully someone will know.

·
Hybrid
5,842 Posts
191 lbs

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gunna be throwing it in today...should i put axle grease on the splines

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got this far....how in the f*** do u get the axle into the diff...the walkthu say push in with knuckle...but no go any suggestions 20140926_113812.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
It should just slide in once the splines are lined up. I usually slide the axle in without the knuckle on the other end. Then get the knuckle on the axle then re attach to ball joints

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Swapped retainer ring feom old cv...slid right in

·
Registered
208 Posts
usually i just push the axle til she pops in. i guess the old clip might have been worn enough to require less push

1 - 16 of 16 Posts