Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every one i have been stalling this site for a while because of my wife's of colorado with the 3.5l motor. I have used alot of helpful how to's and links but i can't find anything on my issue. We replaced the head on her truck last weekend, new seals, head gasket, ect and it fired up perfectly on the first crank. Ran beautifully so i took it for a easy drive to check it out. I happened to forget to connect the positive terminal on the alternator and ran out of juice so pulled over and hooked it up and it fired back up. Well thats when the problems started....

Then it started shuttering and would not idle at all by itself (had to keep foot on go pedal to keep it from stalling) so i limped it back to the shop and it threw a code but didnt have my reader with me. Changed the plugs and it started right up and idled by itself. I turned it off and went to start it again and it didnt want to start, it kinda struggled so i figured it was the battery i drained by accident. I then drove it home from our shop ( about a 2 hr drive) and it didnt have the power i remembered it had. Got home and read the codes p0017, and p0013. So i swapped the csas and it still had issues starting so i replaced the exhaust camshaft position sensor. Now it will start fine some times and struggle other times (usually struggle if i try to start it right after i cut the engine off) and also throwing a p0014 code now. I'm running out of thoughts on this thing now but i do have a intake camshaft position sensor coming tomorrow to replace. Any thoughts or idea's? Sorry for the really long first post. I'm 99% sure the timing is dead on but if anyone thinks it might have jumped a tooth i have no issue's pulling the valve cover back off and checking again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
went to the stealer ship and said they have no clue on what a case learn is.... Is it really necessary to have a case learn done if i i just swapped sensors, because what i have read is its only needed for a pcm change. It runs fine just having the starting issues now. I've worked on countless number of engines and if the timing was off it would stumble and run like complete crap with no power what so ever but im lost on this engine now...

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
CASE relearn should be done if you replaced the sensors. It calibrates the crank and cam sensors to each other for proper timing and fueling. The dealer should know what that is because GM has had that process for more than a decade now.

With those 3 codes though I have to assume it was either mistimed or you didn't actuate the cam gear properly when installing the timing chain. Possibly the exhaust cam gear mechanism is no good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts