Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
That 35mm sounds like it would be fun to play with.

A lot like the Nifty Fifty (50mm) due to the low f-stop and short Depth of Field. Study up on that if you don't know what that is or how to use it.

Shoot in Raw. Read up on some articles that are out there on shooting automotive as they talk about what to stay away from and what not to do. Some good pointers that you might not think to look for when you are looking through the view finder.

For settings, I can't recommend any because I usually take several before I shoot a car/truck in the location so that I can get the camera to go along with the current lighting that is available as I don't shoot with flashes or any of that fancy stuff.

Adobe Lightroom is your friend...

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I believe the 7200 is a full frame censor, correct?

Invest in a good tripod too. It's hard to get any clarity with large aperture and hand-held.

Agreed on the Lightroom comment.

The more of a wide angle lens you shoot with the more the perspective is changed. Like shooting from the corner at a fender, the vehicle will appear longer and out of proportion. With a 35mm, probably not too bad, but down like 18mm you'll see it for sure.

For example, portraits are best shot at 85mm for a few reasons 1) you are not 'in their face' with your camera but also the perspective is fairly natural. If shooting a portrait with an 18mm lens, you need to be right up on them, and their nose will look longer than what belongs on their face.

Oh...settings. You need to experiment really to see what actually gives you results that you envision in your mind.

Shoot in aperture mode for the most part so you can set your DOF. If you shoot a car at f1.8 with your focal point on the bumper, the image will be blurred (not the member blurred) before the mirrors. If you shoot at 7.1 for example, the whole car will probably be in focus. That all depends on the zoom you are using though. Different with all settings identical but using a 35mm vs 3000mm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts