Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the stock height of a GMC z71 2011 4x4 SLE with the 5.3?

Here is the back story. I took my truck to the dealership with about 21K miles on it because I was having issues with the 4 wheel drive. The front left CV shaft had to be replaced.. I got a call asking why I had fully cranked my T-bars, which I had not touched! I guess the sales people had cranked them before they sold it to me because the truck was leveled out when I bought it. They were asking if they could lower the front T-bar height because the CV joints were at an extreme angle and caused the issue with the axle breaking. Needless to say I argued with them for a while about it and didnt get very far.

Now my issue is that I think they lowered my ride height WAY too much. The CVs now angle down from my wheels to the front differential when sitting on a level surface? Is this how it is supposed to be? There is a very noticeable rake in the truck now.

Is there somewhere with the factory specs with ride height that I can take to the dealer to get them to put it where it is supposed to be so that I am still covered under my warranty?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I cant help you with anything official but my 2009 Z71 with the 5.3 was at 36.5" from the ground to the fender flare, although that was with about 52k on it and with me having only owned it for about 5k miles, so I am not sure if the previous owner had cranked them at all.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
The 2011 GM Service Manual has a kind of complicated way of measuring the Front Trim Height (Referred to as the Z Height Measurement). I don't have a way to post the diagrams, but I'll try to explain how it is measured. You will need a level at least as long as the lower control arm. Place the top of the level up against the lower surface of the steering knuckle. The surface where the base of the mount nut is. While holding the level with the bubble centered, measure up to the center of the lower control arm forward mount bolt. Repeat, to get a measurement at the aft mount bolt. The average between the measurements is your "Z" height. For a Z71 RPO the measurement should be 117mm (4.60in) plus or minus 5mm (0.20in). There doesn't appear to be any other method in the Service Manual, to measure height, so I'm assuming that it is the way the Dealer service dept. SHOULD be doing it.

Edit: I'm going to try to post a link. Not sure it will work. http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldatadi...4864218/34864722/34865393/124196049/163574624

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Also, I can imagine that since they lowered it down to 'factory height', that they also aligned it. If you start messing with it now you will have to pay for an alignment.

It sounds like in any case, the tbars had been cranked because your problem is definitely a result of a lifted front end. Did you buy the truck brand new?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just bought a 2012 and will go out and get a measurement.

From ground through center of wheel to fender flare as delivered:

Driver: 35 7/8"
Passenger: 36 1/2"

Okay I just went out and had to crank the driver side up 1 1/8". I only had to crank driver side because they were so uneven from the factory. Now both sides are at 37" from ground through center of wheel to fender flare.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I just bought a 2012 and will go out and get a measurement.

From ground through center of wheel to fender flare as delivered:

Driver: 35 7/8"
Passenger: 36 1/2"

Okay I just went out and had to crank the driver side up 1 1/8". I only had to crank driver side because they were so uneven from the factory. Now both sides are at 37" from ground through center of wheel to fender flare.
That 1/2" may not be enough to worry about, but keep an eye on your tires because you altered your front end alignment spec by lifting it up. Also, after you drive it around a little you should measure it again since it will probably settle a tiny bit.

As for being uneven from the factory, it may be that your driver side has sagged already. It's common and will happen.

The numbers you gave from ground to fender lip are only useful if you both have the same size tire, FYI. A more accurate measurement is to measure from the center of the hub to the fender lip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well I was just trying to help but will give those measurements in awhile. And I am aware of the possibilities after making a tb adjustment. I just downsized from a Z71 durmax 4x4 so I know what tb adjustment does but thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Well I was just trying to help but will give those measurements in awhile. And I am aware of the possibilities after making a tb adjustment. I just downsized from a Z71 durmax 4x4 so I know what tb adjustment does but thanks for the heads up.
I dropped the front of mine a little more than 2" soon after I bought it new. When I took it to the Dealer for alignment, the tech told me that it was still technically within limits. I had him tweak it back to optimum. That was more than 15,000 miles ago and no problems. Yes, I have torsion bars.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
No worries. Too many people come on here adjusting their ride height then come back and complain about premature tire wear following it up with something like "My truck is stock except I cranked my torsion bars".
Now I know I won't need to comment behind you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
No worries here either....lol. I hope I will be able to contribute more here as I learn this "little" truck. To the OP, I hope the info was helpful and sorry for the mini thread jack in progress....lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I bought the truck new from the same dealer I am taking it to. Just went out and measured from center of hub to wheel flare and it is an even 20"! I can't believe they would lower it almost 2 inches below stock. Hearing that, I wonder if they even did a realignment. What are the symptoms of a bad alignment other than uneven wear?

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
Other symptoms include the steering wheel not returning to Center after letting go of it after making a turn, and/ or vehicle pulls to the left or the right when trying to go straight...

Sent from my LG-P999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I bought the truck new from the same dealer I am taking it to. Just went out and measured from center of hub to wheel flare and it is an even 20"! I can't believe they would lower it almost 2 inches below stock. Hearing that, I wonder if they even did a realignment. What are the symptoms of a bad alignment other than uneven wear?
That is really strange. 20" is the measurement of my Z85 2wd with a 2" drop. I would be stomping on top of the Service Manager's desk if it was my truck. They need to show you how they determined that the setting that they used is correct (obviously it isn't). Time to bring in the GM Rep!!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Yeah, I'd head back to the dealer too. Make them put it back to proper spec per your vehicle and have them prove to you that 20" is stock. After they tweak it, make sure they agree to align it. If they tell you an alignment isn't necessary I'd find some way to let them know that $55 to 'check' the alignment is cheaper than it is for them to buy you two new tires from incorrect alignment. On your invoices, make sure that the workout specified modifying the torsion bars from one number to another number and no alignment was performed (or necessary), however they choose to word it.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I'll second what 08Canyon says about documentation. Make sure you have records of exactly what was done up to this point and everything that happens from now on. Write down dates/times/names and phone numbers. It appears that they might have just "eyeballed" the height measurement and if that is the case they can't really be trusted to do anything "by-the-book". I would suggest to go straight to the Service Manager, tell him that you think that it wasn't adjusted correctly, and if you don't get the correct response, ask for the GM Rep to be called in. Above all else, remain calm, but be very insistent that they address the situation. Maybe the GM Customer Service Public Relations Team will drop by and give some advise.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
And do it now, not in 2 weeks. If you wait, then it tells the dealer that you really aren't all that concerned about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I would give the service manager an a$$ chewing he wouldn't forget. To many times they get all high and mighty on someone. Don't forget, YOU are the one who payed tens of thousands of dollars for YOUR truck. Stand up to him and tell him you did not change anything on your truck. Pick another new z71 on the lot and tell him you want it setting exactly like that one, with a free alignment. I know I sound harsh, but trust me I had a service manager try and void my warranty because I had a amp and sub all because they couldn't find the problem. Long story short, they found my problem and it had nothing to do with my system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts