Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07' Colorado Z71 I5 with unknown miles. Engine runs great for now but I am getting a good bit of oil coming from the valve cover vent hose to the air intake box. I checked the intake vacuum hose for suction and it is good. What are some things that can cause the pressure to build up enough to puke oil from the vent hose on the valve cover? Thanks for any help. I went ahead and chemtooled the heck out of the TB and it helps. Going to see exactly what code it throws "if any" later today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check engine light comes one a few days after being cleared. The hose isn't clamped tight. Like someone found a spare piece of hose laying around that was too big around and just threw it on there. That may make it throw a code if it is getting too much fresh air pulled in around the gaps in the hose ends but of I understand correctly there should be no "pressure" or air being "pushed" out of the vent

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
The hose that goes from the intake resonator to the valve cover is the fresh air inlet for the crankcase vent system. The vented "dirty" air goes through a PCV orifice in the valve cover and then is routed through the other hose to the intake manifold. During normal operation there shouldn't be any oil discharged through the tube connected to the resonator. If there is a blockage in the crankcase vent to the intake it can cause a backpressure in the inlet tube and result in what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a way to try to unclog it without taking the valve cover off? Sorry it's a TMU title on the truck and I'm just trying to do it all myself. I have experience but you all will help me I'm sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My evap seems to be throwing a code too from the vent on the fuel tank. Are those airflow systems connected in anyway that would cause pressure on the intake side and make it leak like it is. It's murdering my TB and valves I'm sure

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
They aren't related. What is the DTC that you are getting for the Evap System? What is the DTC for the engine problem?

Make sure that all of the external connections/hoses are clear and not deteriorated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No check engine light but a code that I can't remember right this second but it was the evap code for the vent canister/sensor. No engine light on the dash. So no code for the Pressure system or oil leaking from the clean air port on the top of the engine there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It runs just a hair warm under normal conditions so I am about to flush the radiator tonight to see if the truck cools off a little. Maybe then it will relive the pressure.
That's just a easy try and needs to be done anyway.
New issue. Now I noticed I have a leak coming from somewhere on the front of the engine.
There's so much I can't tell where the hell it's coming from.
I think I have a major pressure issue here. Looks as if there is nothing at all above the manifold. Did I blow the head gasket in the front. I could swear it looks as if oil is slowing bleeding from the bolts on the front of the engine behind the belt and pullys. SMH. Help please

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 07' Colorado Z71 I5 with unknown miles. Engine runs great for now but I am getting a good bit of oil coming from the valve cover vent hose to the air intake box. I checked the intake vacuum hose for suction and it is good. What are some things that can cause the pressure to build up enough to puke oil from the vent hose on the valve cover? Thanks for any help. I went ahead and chemtooled the heck out of the TB and it helps. Going to see exactly what code it throws "if any" later today.
hello did you fix the problem with the vent blowin air and oil'? wht did you do iam having the same problem i was toldthe pcv hose or inlet is blocked but i cant find it...thanks

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Inside where the hoses connect to the valve cover there are tiny hole that some folks here have had to clean out with a small drill bit. Like a 2 or 3 mm drill bit. Some have also said they have cleaned out by using compressed air.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There's another post on the forum where a guy had a slug of oil and water in the pcv vent hose, and it was freezing and causing the hose to clog only when cold. Pull the resonator box and make sure the tube is clear. He was having oil blow out the crank seals when it froze.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts