Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Delayed response when locking doors

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  GM Customer Service 
#1 ·
SO I searched here and google and couldn't find an answer. After I drive my truck, I turn it off and get out and hit the lock button on my keyfob. It doesn't respond at all. I have to wait somewhere around 30 seconds before the vehicle responds to the lock command. I've tried the obvious (changed remote battery, took it apart and cleaned remote contacts) and it didn't change. I should note that the unlock button works just fine in this time frame, only the lock button doesn't work. And it only happens right after I shut off and exit the truck, it responds immediately any other time. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

I'm hoping not a computer issue but I'll add that yesterday, my cruise wouldn't work (no light on dash) and then I turned the truck off and back on and it was working again. I hate electrical gremlins. I'm planning on troubleshooting the cruise separately from this post but I thought it might help with symptoms of the door locks.

#3 ·
Not sure why it works but try this: Next time it won't like , hold the Key Fob next to your cheek bone and push the Lock. I know this will probably generate some response about my intelligence as it sounds stupid to me too, but, try it. My 8 year old grand daughter suggested it and wa la., it worked. For some reason it seems to extend the range.

#11 ·
Have you been able to confirm if the dome light is functioning properly? I wonder if the locks are not working becuase the system won't allow it to lock (like security reasons). The point...perhaps the door switch is not working properly.

As a silly suggestion, how about exiting the vehicle through a different door then trying to lock. That removes the driver door from the equation.

#12 ·
Mine did the same thing intermittently a couple of weeks ago when I was in Maryland, but has worked fine ever since I returned to warm Florida.....possibly something related to temperature?

#16 ·
Just re-read your original post and should mention that I have not had any cruise control issues. However, a few days before I headed north I lost power to the stereo head and GPS and got traction control and security alarm warning lights. After posting on here (thread name "Electrical Gremlin?") I followed the recommended instructions for modifying the grounding point on the passenger side fender and those issues have not yet returned in the almost 3,000 miles I have put on my truck since.

#17 ·
So I think I've hammered down the weirdness of the delayed locking of my doors. As stupid as this sounds, I started parking somewhere else and haven't had the problem in 2 weeks. I think the fact was the I was parking directly in front of the main transformer for our facility and it was messing with my signal. I came to this conclusion because both my cell phone signal and wireless internet signals die in front of that thing too (different frequencies I know but it may just kill all wireless frequencies).

G
#20 ·
Hi copekyle,

Glad to hear that you were able to solve the mystery of the delay when locking your doors. If you do have any questions or would like our assistance, definitely don’t hesitate to send us a private message. Do keep us updated though, curious to hear if parking in another location did the trick!

Best,

Shane M.
GM Customer Care

#18 ·
Very possible. I had an alarm on a previous vehicle and it would go off almost daily. I had to pull a fuse while parked at work for it to not be active. Almost never would the alarm sound for no reason if not at work. The alarm functioned properly otherwise, and the remote start worked too, it just had something that tripped it.

#19 ·
I would check all the electrical ground points for corrosion and the condition of the battery first. Also check the antenna connection attached to the BCM. You may want to have a dealer read the codes in the BCM because it can selectively cut off features when there's a problem for instance a shorted door lock actuator or maybe a defective remote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.