Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went mudding last night and hit a bump pretty bad. Front end went up and came down hard enough to move my radiator and bend it and break two fan blades. Engine got pretty hot and started leaking what I'm thinking was coolant. Would this be the correct replacement radiator for an 06 colorado 3.5 liter?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Looks like the correct one. A RockAuto 5% discount code is B6F9ED74716834 (expires 08/05/14).

If you haven't used a discount code at RockAuto before, the code goes in the "How did you hear about us" box during checkout. Just the code goes in that box, nothing else.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Better check motor mounts......broken fan blades usually means the motor moved excessively, not the radiator.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Better check motor mounts......broken fan blades usually means the motor moved excessively, not the radiator.
Really? The radiator came off the mounting bracket on one side and the fan hits the radiator when it's trying to turn which is why the blades broke. My check engine light didn't come on and it drove fine besides the hot engine issue

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the correct one. A RockAuto 5% discount code is B6F9ED74716834 (expires 08/05/14).

If you haven't used a discount code at RockAuto before, the code goes in the "How did you hear about us" box during checkout. Just the code goes in that box, nothing else.
Thanks I appreciate it!

·
Registered
424 Posts
But just to be safe, how do I go about checking the mounts and what should I look for?
I'm not familiar with the 355 I4/I5 motor mounts but on most vehicles u want to look for torn/broken rubber, anything bent, excessive engine movement when gently lifted a little with a floor jack. Seems odd a rad could come loose from its mount unless a bolt(s) that holds it in was missing. If u have a auto tranny, make sure the rad fan didn't hit/damage the 2 tranny fluid lines going into/out of the bottom of the rad.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
put it in gear, brakes on, give it some gas, see if the motor lifts /rocks
upward. bad mount

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The radiator is about an inch off of the mounting bracket and the fan blades are hitting the bottom of the shroud and a steel line when I spin it by hand so im kinda hesitant to start it up to check the mounts. I didn't notice any knocking or anything when I drove it to my work last night and it hasn't leaked anything since then. I'm thinking of just replacing the radiator and going from there.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Investigate your steering linkage and steering components too. If you hit that hard I wouldn't be surprised if something up front took whack too. If nothing else, your alignment is probably out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Investigate your steering linkage and steering components too. If you hit that hard I wouldn't be surprised if something up front took whack too. If nothing else, your alignment is probably out.
Everything in the steering seemed fine but then again I'm no mechanic. My alignment was the same as before but I'm gonna get a machanic to check everything out. The one thing I'm certain about is that I need a new radiator.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might be a dumb question, but where the hell are the motor mounts? I'm brain dead when it comes to mechanical stuff

·
Registered
424 Posts
Down low on each side of the motor. They attach to the motor/block and frame rails.

"I'm brain dead when it comes to mechanical stuff"........might want to stick to pavement........it's usually easier on components. Parts cost and DIY is one thing......parts AND mechanics get expensive really quick.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Everything in the steering seemed fine but then again I'm no mechanic. My alignment was the same as before but I'm gonna get a machanic to check everything out. The one thing I'm certain about is that I need a new radiator.
What does the highlighted part even mean?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was wondering the same thing......only an alignment shop can tell for sure and it doesn't sound like its made a trip to the shop since the whoop-t-doo.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
My educated guess interprets the comment as "My steering wheel was in the same position before and after the whoop-t-doo".

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Perfect time for a efan install

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok that was a dumb response on my part about my alignment. Visually it looks ok but yeah I need to get it to an alignment shop soon as I fix the radiator and fan.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts