Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A leaf blower wont leave water spots?? Seems like it would just dry it faster. man that would save me soo much trouble lol
That is correct. It even gets the water out of the strips on the roof and handles. Cause if you dont do those areas, you will notice a stream of water mixed with soap and it leaves an annoying mark that will need to be buffed away

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
since you just claybared it try using wax to. i used to detail for a job. Whenever we that problem thats what we did. claybar the whole thing then wax the whole thing right afterward (after its dry obviously) and that solved it everytime. The problem seemed to be more consistant with cars that had been repainted on 1 side. the other side just didn't want to dry right. if yours hasn't been then im clueless as to why its doing that. i dunno maybe try waxing and if that don't work i'll go ask my old boss what he thinks you could do.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
OOOH! just a tip for all your crazy detailers out there.

Before applying chrome polish to chrome exhaust tips, youre gonna want to clean the tips so theres no carbon buildup or those lil black specs that seem to buildup after awhile...Use Oxyclean(Billy Mayes aint playin ;)) Ive tried all sorts of soaps with all sorts of wash mitts and pads but Oxyclean+Scotch Brite pad will make the tips look brand new in about 1 minute. I rinsed the tips with Oxyclean in water and then scrubbed for about 30 seconds and they look brand new again! Now they are ready for polishing. SWEEETRUCK!!:tayo::tayo:

·
Its too hot in Texas!
6,472 Posts
Mother's Chrome polish works great for water spots on chrome!!! Also I use Armor All Extreme tire shine.. BUT... I do not spray it on the tires.. Instead I spray it on a foam pad and wipe it on until it shines but leaves no residue. I use Mother's Back to black for all the black plastics and I think the wax I use is either Mother's or Meguiers. After this deployment I am thinking about trying out Ibiz wax. It is the wax used by Corvette club of America. It is expensive but really nice. I know after sitting for a year it is going to need lots of love!!!

Oh yeah and car wax on the rims keeps most the brake dust off...

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
UPDATE on the waterspots: I just finished claybaring. theirs less waterspots, but their still there :(. any other ideas?
I had some waterspots on mine from my truck sitting outside one HOT day when I was at work and my neighbor decided to turn on their sprinker. Guess black trucks dont like that. I tired wax and claybar but it didnt do much. I had to use a heavy cut buffing compound and a buffer to get them out. If you have never used a buffer id suggest taking it to someone.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had some waterspots on mine from my truck sitting outside one HOT day when I was at work and my neighbor decided to turn on their sprinker. Guess black trucks dont like that. I tired wax and claybar but it didnt do much. I had to use a heavy cut buffing compound and a buffer to get them out. If you have never used a buffer id suggest taking it to someone.
yeah. DBNissan had told me that. I'm lookin around and trying to find time to get it done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rise of an old thread...

Recently, I did a lot of research of how to detail. My Z85 had water spots and some oxidation (I know, don't judge me, I lived in a fucking apartment complex without covered parking for a couple years).

Here is a website that I found had a lot of information about this stuff:
Autopia - Autopia Home

From what I saw, a good brand of cleaners, clays, polishers, and waxes was Sonus. You can get a good package from them with the Klasse AIO and the Klasse Sealent or the Carnauba P21S Wax.

I actually ended up getting a kit from High Definition Car Care. It made my black lady nice and shiney! The polish got rid of the water spots.

·
Registered
340 Posts
little tip for chrome bumpers trim mirrors etc.. and marine paint restorer works great for removing caked on bugs water marks etc.. takes almost no effort and leaves no residue.

i work full time in a commercial detail shop its quick and easy
by commercial i mean a private company that does lot detail and used car details for dealerships

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey, I know this thread is old, but I just got my rado back in January, and what with Toledo weather being what it is, just started washing my truck by hand about 2 weeks ago.
I've got to know. has anyone tried using the absorber on a black truck? My rado's black, and so was the S10 that she replaced. Every time I used the absorber chamois, it would leave a nasty residue on the paint. Even when it was just washed!! Any thoughts? Although I'm really thinking leaf blower now thanks to this thread...

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
i use the tire/engine cleaner on my entire truck, just a really diluted degreaser, it cuts down on spots and cleans pretty well without having to scrub the shit out of it

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
This is a old thread n all but as a detailer for over 5 years I have to say that u never want to use dish soap to wash a car it eats up ur clear coat very fast n dulls your paint... Just a little FYI... N also if ur clay baring ur truck u can use the clay bar while ur washing it also with the soap that's already on there just make sure to keep it the area ur working on wet with soap n water...

21 - 40 of 59 Posts