Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone switched from dexcool to regular coolant with out any problems im do for a radiator flush soon and I know from past experience that dexcool is garbage so I just wanted to see if anyone has got rid of it and have just gone to regular and if they have had any problems

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I have used Dex-Cool forever... Never had any issues with it...

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I swapped to peak.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
So much controversy..

I used Dexcool until 131K.
Recently did another flush and this time I used a Peak "universal" coolant.

The advantage of Dexcool and the newer universal coolants is they don't use silicates.

In my opinion most of the problems with Dexcool have been that vehicle owners have had service at oil-change shops where the techs topped-off with non Dexcool, which causes the Dexcool to gum-up, to coagulate.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
And GM (and other manufacturers) want the coolant they ship the vehicle with to last 100K so they can tout their vehicle's low maintenance requirements.

No way I'm gonna run Dex or any other coolant for more than 50K or so.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm impressed with Dexcool in 2 GM vehicles.....both systems sterile clean when drained/refilled. Not sure what u mean by regular coolant but the Prestone Extended Life coolant says any make, any model, with any color. I've used the Prestone Extended Life after Dexcool with zero issues but again, I don't have any issues with Dexcool either.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
The dexcool doesn't seem to have any ill effects to me. I tend to use a little less and I notice properly filtered water makes a big difference as well in how it's cooling properties hold up.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Just don't blend Dex with tap water !!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Prestone jug says mixing with drinkable water is fine.....does the Dexcool mixing instructions say something different?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its something about the properties of dexcool for the first couple of years that gm had first introduced it, it would cause a reaction with the metal properties of some vehical heads and it would eat away at the metal and cause leaks of coolant into the oil or out the side of the block and also gm had some problems with dexcool and some gasket material when dexcool would heat up it would actually disslove the gasket and plug up the radiator gm had a class action lawsuit over this it happpened to my parents '02 monte carlo there for i want to get rid of dexcool

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Most those problems have been addressed. That was GM's fault because the suppliers they used were not well informed enough of the changes being made so they didn't improve their materials to coincide with the change in the chemical make up for Dexcool.

You also have to realize many engines changed from cast iron to completely aluminum around the same time. Which is probably the main reason they came up with dexcool so that it works properly with the aluminum engines. I'm not the engineer so I can't say for sure but that's my point of view on it.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
At our goodyear tire & service network shop we replace everything with universal coolant that is a yellow color. Its slightly more expensive but you can mix anything in with it or put it in anything that is already existing and wont be a problem. that way if our customers are topping off their own fluids there aren't any issues of cross contamination if they used the "wrong" coolant type :)

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
185K running Dexcool from day 1 and no coolant-related problems. Had it on my '02 Cavalier with the Ecotec motor and no problems there either.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Dexcool vs regular coolant that conversations can't even be agreed upon by engineers. There are much written on the subject and the reason for early failures of engine cooling components. When I worked as the director of fleet vehicles and equipment for a governmental agency we were having a large number of heater cores, radiators, and head gaskets fail. Even the factory were struggling with the issue at the time. So I did a lot of research on the subject. What I found through experience. If you are flushing a dexcool system you must flush it well. Also we had some vehicles that used dexcool and some others that used ethylene glycol or regular coolant. The technicians were using the same maching to service the vehicles so some of the other coolant was still in the machine and it was causing contamination. We purchased another machine and assigned one to each fluid. Also we found tap water is not the way to go either so we installed a distiller to create distilled water for use in our vehicles and went to a radiator cap that has an anode attached to it. Also the dexcool formula for GM is different from others so you have to make sure you have the correct coolant. Universal coolant seems to be a good way to go now days. I personally haven't had any problems with dexcool as I've owned a number of Gm vehicles. I'm just past 100k on my Colorado and planning on flushing the system and putting dexcool back in with distilled water.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Is Dexcool not ethylene glycol?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts