Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a small TB/shackle lift and trying to do a diff drop.

After supporting the diff with a jack I cannot for the life of me get the bolts loose. I've tried a breaker bar and the socket slipped on the bolt head. They're soaking in penetrating oil now.

I'm at a loss. Going to get new tires in a few days and get an alignment and thinking about having the shop try to break them loose with an impact. I've heard there's a captive nut inside the frame though and I definately don't want to disturb it.

Did anyone else have trouble with thier diff bolts??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Dang, that's bad. I think you're the first person I've read to where the bolt is rusted! They seem to either just come right out, or the nut is come loose from the frame.

Hope the penetrating lube does the job! Also, get a 6-pt socket to reduce the risk of breaking your knuckles!

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mind is made up. I'm going to let this be someone else's problem. I'm going to have my alignment shop remove the bolts, install my spacers, and be done.

I've laid on the ground and strained myself enough. Obesity is a bitch. :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got my truck off the lift at my local shop. Took an impact and torch to get the diff bolts to break loose. $20 in labor, but now I don't have to strain my guts out to do a diff drop at home. :)

A word of advice, if you're doing a diff drop, anti-seize. Do it.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I took the bolts to my wire wheel so they were clean. Sprayed them with a cleaner (forgot now which) then put a few dabs of loctite on them.

Cleaning them nicely is still a good idea should one elect for anti-seize.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts