Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Which rear plate style do you like better?

• Design 1

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Design 2

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Design 3

Votes: 8 29.6%
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking with @un4giv3n the other day, and he put a little idea in my head to make a rear diff guard. So I went ahead and crawled under the truck on Friday and took some measurements...just had a chance to sit down at the comp with them a little bit ago.

Here's the model, and I'll start test cutting tomorrow. Hopefully it'll fit with no adjustments needed, but we'll see. This is just the first revision. I already want to make some changes, but I don't want to go too far without making sure I'm on the right track first. Mainly thinking about better/easier ways to make the legs align, and also a different design/shape for the center piece.

Design 1:

Design 2:

Design 3:

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Looks like solid design so far. Keep us posted on your new designs, maybe start a poll so others can vote to which one they like the best.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's pretty cool. Would that bolt on to what's there. Like a cover type deal?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It'll bolt over the stock cover...just undo the 7 bolts, bolt the guard on, then top off fluid if needed.

Looks like solid design so far. Keep us posted on your new designs, maybe start a poll so others can vote to which one they like the best.
Done!

Looks good man. It'd be nice to see more options out there then just the KrFab diff cover that I installed on my truck.
Thanks! I've already played with the design some more. I have an idea of how to do an integrated skid plate 'kind of' like the KrFab one, but completely different lol.

·
World Traveler
818 Posts
On design 2 would the points that extend out bend if they where to but put under load? I personally like design 1 as it leaves no bendable edges, although it doesn't look as "tough" a design 2

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On design 2 would the points that extend out bend if they where to but put under load? I personally like design 1 as it leaves no bendable edges, although it doesn't look as "tough" a design 2
It's possible, but barely more than if you caught the round edge from design 1. With the exception of the top point...but if you actually catch that on a rock and bend it, I think it'll be the least of your worries.

You won't be able to bend the points far enough to touch the diff cover without destroying the guard, though.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It reminds me of the Batman throwing knives lol. Something along those lines will be design 3.

Keep the comments coming! I should have a fitment update late tonight.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Just make.it paintable !!! LOL

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It will be paintable/powderable/chromeable/whateverable lol.

I cut the base flange out of some 18ga for a test fit...close, but no cigar. Gonna make the adjustments and then re-cut later this week.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Recut the test flange last night...Success! Unfortunately I ran out of time and couldn't get a full part cut. Friday I'll be doing that.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts