Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Colorado with a i5 3.5 that the engine started knocking, I found a complete one low miles out of a 2005, can anyone confirm that there the same or different, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Pretty sure there are differences in the fuel rails, but not sure what they are. Early models had a fuel pressure regulator and the '06 had something different. There are several threads here about the swap, but I don't know how you could dig them up. Maybe look into the engine swap section, but most of that is about upgrading to a V-8.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure there are differences in the fuel rails, but not sure what they are. Early models had a fuel pressure regulator and the '06 had something different. There are several threads here about the swap, but I don't know how you could dig them up. Maybe look into the engine swap section, but most of that is about upgrading to a V-8.
not to be mistaken but it sounds like I should be able to just use my old injector and fuel rail I would believe?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The '05 used what I consider to be a "traditional" fuel pressure regulator that allowed fuel to return to the tank if the pressure got too high. The '06 was called a "returnless fuel system". The fuel pressure was controlled by a valve or something that was part of the fuel pump assembly. I think if your putting the '05 motor into the '06 truck, you need to use all of the components of the fuel rail that are already on the '06, since the fuel tank will control the fuel pressure and the fuel pressure regulator off of the '05 motor will not be needed, and the hoses for it to return fuel to the tank won't even be there to hook up to it.
Sorry if I have created problems and concerns that you don't actually have to deal with. Take that '05 motor and shove it in there and use all of the "stuff" off of the '06 motor to make it work.
Let us know how that goes. If you have them side-by-side, look at the hoses for the valve cover and intake manifold too. Seems like there's something different there too.
If you have problems though, someone here has probably "been there - done that" and can answer specific questions as they arise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts