Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I need help!

So my override button doesn't work, in fact when pressed in it keeps the dome light on...

The dimmer clicks it on, however it does not change the brightness of the dash.

I noticed my spare tire pinched the connector clip going to the rear lights and my driver side brake light no longer works...

Is this all related? Or am I just the unluckiest guy ever?!

Would the pinched, partially broken connector under the bed cause my switch to go out?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
:welcome2:

How long have you had this truck? Are you the original owner? The problems with the dimmer and override switch may be caused by a defective headlight switch assembly. You are saying that when the dimmer switch is "rolled" all the way down, it does not dim the instrument cluster?

Did you checked the condition of the pinched, partially broken connector to see if the wires were damaged. That would be a good place to start troubleshooting the inop brake light.

The pinched connector may be related to the inop brake light, but in no way is it connected to the override switch/dimmer problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding cart! I wasn't sure if it was related I just knew the same fuse went to both places.

I am the original owner. It's a 2004 ext cab 3.5 5 cyl.

The turn switch works fine. The dimmer does nothing except turn on the dome at highest point and the override does not work at all except to bypass the 15 second shutoff leaving the light on indefinitely... The bed light however works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Okay, this is bizarre. Today my dimmer quit functioning too. It is stuck on 'bright'. Everything functions aside from the dimmer.

Must be the weather. haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna try pulling it out and cleaning everything in the morning. Found a new switch online for 75 bucks after shipping and tax so hopefully everything is an under $100 fix.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Well if either one of you has a truck w/o fog lights I have a spare switch.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
desertrat85: "I wasn't sure if it was related I just knew the same fuse went to both places."

Just curious, which fuse goes to both places?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Okay, I see where my confusion comes from. In Post #1 you stated that he "brake" light was not working. The brake light power does not come through fuse #29. Taillight power does come from that fuse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah yeah I should be more specific. My tail light and brake light both do not work (which is most likely from the faulty connector) my reverse, turn, and hazards work fine.

Cleaned the switch with no success...so ordering one today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts